Dumb Question About The Trash

Reaction score
Here's something I've been wondering about for some time. I keep an eye on how much free space I have on my internal drive, an SSD, with the goal of keeping a lot of the space free. Over the last few months, I've gotten rather slack about emptying my Trash, and today I saw that there were several gigabytes of stuff in there.

At the bottom of an open window, I saw I had 265.34 GB of free space. When I hit Command-Shift-Delete to empty the Trash, I heard the obligatory crinkling sound and saw the Trash icon revert to its "empty" appearance. But the open window still showed I had the same amount of free space available.

My question: Does the Mac now automatically consider anything in the Trash as not being part of the overall data and flotsam on the regular parts of the drive? That is, if I simply place a bunch of stuff in the Trash, will the Mac automatically deduct that space?

I'm running macOS Mojave now, but I think I noticed that before when I was still running High Sierra.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sometimes you have to close the Finder window and reopen it to see the recovered space. See if that shows the correct amount of free space.

C

Ask a Question