Unwanted Emboldened text

Reaction score
My Mac is doing something strange. On printing a document, a text emboldened version is printed. I have checked numerous times, and emboldening is NOT set in the document side bar, or in the font in use.
To regain my sanity, and check out the printer, I printed a document from my smartphone via the system WiFi and which appears totally normal in font style. Print the same document from the MAC....and there it is again.
The emboldening effect is not quite a true font emboldening, but appears under a magnifying glass to be a somewhat ghost like effect causing a broadening of the characters.
Any ideas how to address and correct this and allow me to print normally a MAC document ?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi & welcome to Mac Forums. :)

Can you please try printing a different document from your Mac just to see if it's something about this particular document and not any Print Settings?

If you could also tell us if this document is saved to your Mac or are you printing from a webpage.

Also helpful would be an upload of the specific section on the printed page where the text is emboldened?

Cheers,

Marty

Reaction score
Hi & welcome to Mac Forums. :)

Can you please try printing a different document from your Mac just to see if it's something about this particular document and not any Print Settings?

If you could also tell us if this document is saved to your Mac or are you printing from a webpage.

Also helpful would be an upload of the specific section on the printed page where the text is emboldened?

Cheers,

Marty
Hi Marty,

Thanks for the reply. Your questions got me going down an avenue. The effects I described are all from docs on the MAC. Pages , e-mails etc. BUT what I found was that the emboldening effect is only in Black text (!) and not when using any colour fonts. The attached images are the same document, one from a photo shot directly from the screen, the other from the printed version (with emboldened text issue). You can see the differentiation between the B+W and Colour parts of the text. Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Best Wishes

Mike Shilling
IMG_20211113_153017d.jpg
IMG_20211113_151913d.jpg

Reaction score
Lufbrarunner suggested that the emboldening is in fact a dropped shadow. So knowing this, I was able to simulate the text effect I get, but the problem remains. Why is my MAC 'shadow dropping' text, uncommanded? Bearing in mind that an incoming email. like that displayed in this thread, goes nowhere the text editor. and in any event, the dropped shadow tool in Pages is switched off.

Reaction score
I have since discovered ( Dec 2021), that if I send a doc to my smartphone ( or pick it up from there, ) and print over the WiFi, all is well.
So this totally eliminates any printer issues, and points firmly at the MAC. I have contacted Apple Support over their help line, and after some 20 minutes, the helpful support lady left me with a set of actionable items to narrow down the problem in the MAC.
Unfortunately, I am unable to follow them - setting up a new user etc. looks simple but it is not! Seeking direct assistance.

Reaction score
Still have the problem of emboldened BLACK text, but a friend suggested that before hitting print, I change
the Depth of black in the document either using the Colour circle or reducing RGB values slightly. BOTH work!
It is just necessary to back off the depth of black a few percent and the problem is gone! I have set up a template incorporating modified RGB values and the problem ceases. This is a workaround and still does not explain
why MaC Os is doing this in the first place.

Reaction score
Still have the problem of emboldened BLACK text, but a friend suggested that before hitting print, I change
the Depth of black in the document either using the Colour circle or reducing RGB values slightly. BOTH work!
It is just necessary to back off the depth of black a few percent and the problem is gone! I have set up a template incorporating modified RGB values and the problem ceases. This is a workaround and still does not explain
why MaC Os is doing this in the first place.
Seems like you fixed the symptom, not the cause of the problem. Changing color values can have a negative effect on color files that rely on color accuracy. Try resetting font caches.

Reboot, and then make sure you don’t have apps running, in case you have apps on automatic login.

Open the Utilities folder and launch Terminal. Enter this code:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

and press return. If you’re familiar with Terminal, you won’t be surprised when you don’t see any characters while you type in your admin password. Press return and it should prompt for a restart. Once you’re back in, check to see if the problem persists. Good luck.

Ask a Question