Unreliable Wireless Network

Reaction score
I have the new Airport Extreme (n), and a MacBook. They are both situated in my living room, no more than 10 feet apart, nothing in between them. Interference Robustness is on. However, my wireless network seems horribly slow and unreliable. It lags all the time, and every couple minutes or so it seems to "pause" - during this time it will be as if I had no Internet access, although it only lasts for around 10 seconds or so. However, this constant circle is very annoying, and I can't think of a reason why it would be this way.

It is definitely the wireless as things work perfectly when I connect to the same connection with a cable. Does anyone know how to fix this, or will it always be the case with a wireless network? Right now the poor performance kind of outweighs the extra mobility for me, which is annoying given how much the new Airports cost.

Reaction score
Hello Muirdach

Do you have the latest software and firmware updates for the Airport Extreme Base station? You can check by going into the Utilities folder and opening Airport Utility. In the system bar, click Airport Utility and check for software updates. I believe it should check for firmware updates as well.

If you have the latest updates, give this post a shot. I just created it yesterday after having a very unreliable wireless connection. I realize it isn't the same symptoms you are having, but the idea is still the same.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best of luck

Searay

Reaction score
Hi Searay - yes, I tried that, I was all hopeful... but sadly it didn't work for me. Everything is updated, there are no obstacles, everything is pretty new (especially the AirPort). It does work, it just takes breaks way too regularly. As though it's having to reset something or relocate something.

Reaction score
I have seen problems like this before and one way I have fixed it in the past, that might work for you is this.

Go to your system Preferences -->Network

Under Show select Network Port Configurations

Select Airport then Delete

It will be rebuilt right away, you just need to recheck it.
Also Drag it to the top of the list..

See if that helps If not I seee what else I can think of

Reaction score
I tried that, but it doesn't seem to have helped. One thing that I have noticed is that coinciding with these lags, the AirPort menu bar indicator drops from full 4 bars to 3 - even though the AirPort is just a couple metres away and there are no obstructions. I have no idea what would be causing this drop in signal, it just seems to do it on its own.

Reaction score
I hunted around and found the problem on MacFixit - "CoconutWIFI" has been reported to do this by seriously slowing the speeds enough to drop connections. I have quit the program and so far, so good. Whee!

Reaction score
Hello

Glad to hear you found the problem. Let us know if you have any more troubles!

Take care.

Searay

Ask a Question