Transferring pictures from pc to mac with external hard drive

Reaction score
I want to transfer the pictures on my old pc to an external hard drive and then use that external hard drive exclusively with recently purchased MacBook Air to store all pictures and music. I have a separate external hard drive to back up Air using Time Machine.

Will I need to transfer the pictures to my MacBook Air first using the external hard drive and then reformat it for Mac and move the pictures from the Air back to the external drive?

Thanks for your help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, you would need to copy the photos to the hard drive, then copy them to the Air or import them into iPhoto on the Air, then reformat the drive for Mac. You can then move your iPhoto and iTunes libraries to that drive and add it to be backed up to the Time Machine drive.

Once you get the photos copied to this drive, let us know and we can help you with the rest.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, you would need to copy the photos to the hard drive, then copy them to the Air or import them into iPhoto on the Air, then reformat the drive for Mac. You can then move your iPhoto and iTunes libraries to that drive and add it to be backed up to the Time Machine drive.

Once you get the photos copied to this drive, let us know and we can help you with the rest.

C
Thank you for the quick reply.
Made a start as you suggested but after transferring a small part of my picture collection I got an alert saying the iphoto volume was full. I'm assuming there may be some way to increase the space available here but I suspect the size of my total picture library will exceed that of Air's hard drive(120gb, of which 85gb is currently free).
Do I have any other options.
Thanks

Ask a Question