Transferring Mail files from one computer to another Mac

Reaction score
I have an older iMac (running High Sierra 10.13.6) and wish to transfer a number of Mailboxes to a newer Mac running Monterey 12.6.8. I have used the Export Mailbox feature on the older Mac. When I try to import to the Mailbox I get the message "You can find the imported mailboxes in the folder named "Import-2" in the mailboxes list." Trouble is I cannot locate such a file. Help anyone?

Reaction score
Hi There,

In the mail app what you need to do is make sure that the sidebar is visible. If it is not then go under the View menu and select Show Sidebar.

Next you should see your mail address in the sidebar.. Move your mouse over your address in the sidebar and you will see a > to the right of your address. Click on the >, and a list of all mail saved mailboxes should be there.

If they are not there, then look for On My Mac in the sidebar and hover your mouse over this and then click on the >.

Reaction score
I have an older iMac (running High Sierra 10.13.6) and wish to transfer a number of Mailboxes to a newer Mac running Monterey 12.6.8. I have used the Export Mailbox feature on the older Mac. When I try to import to the Mailbox I get the message "You can find the imported mailboxes in the folder named "Import-2" in the mailboxes list." Trouble is I cannot locate such a file. Help anyone?
Assuming you are using Apple Mail, is the owner (user) of the account in the older Mac also the same user in the Monterey account? If NOT, I would simply use Migration Assistant.app from the new Mac to import the user from the older Mac. This way, you can import all the data of the old user, including Mail data, into the new. If I recall correctly, their might be an option to merge all data, if the same user account is on both. I tried that before, though, and I ended up with duplicate folders (with “_2” appended) and files which created a lot of problems. I finally decided to delete the “new” user before the migration. If you have vital information already for the newer user account, you can always choose to archive it instead of deleting it.

I mentioned Apple Mail because I’m not sure how the migration would work in keeping the mail data from a third party mail app. Your best option is to make sure you have reliable backups before proceeding.

Ask a Question