Transferring files from older Mac to newer Mac.

Reaction score
I used Migration Assistant. I think all went well. But, where, on the newer Mac can I view all of the transferred files? I do not see them and do not know where to look.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your new Mac should look exactly like your old one, with all the files, applications etc, etc all in the same places.

At what stage did you use Migration Assistant? If it was during the initial setup, then the above should apply. If you had already setup your new Mac with an account, then Migration Assistant would have set up a new account and transferred all your files into that new account.

Reaction score
Your new Mac should look exactly like your old one, with all the files, applications etc, etc all in the same places.

At what stage did you use Migration Assistant? If it was during the initial setup, then the above should apply. If you had already setup your new Mac with an account, then Migration Assistant would have set up a new account and transferred all your files into that new account.
Okay, so here's the whole story. I had two Macs. The newer one was in NY. The older one, in Florida. I used them both, as we were snowbirds. Just this past October, we moved to Florida full-time and the newer Mac came with us. After a few weeks of getting ourselves settled, we uncrated the newer one from NY and I started using that one. Eventually, I had time to figure out how to transfer the files from the older one to the newer one using Migration Assistant. It was then, when trying to find the transferred files on the newer Mac and, not being able to, that I reached out to this forum. So, to respond to your post, I had already set up the new Mac. Do not know what you mean about Migration Assistant transferring my files to "that new account." What/where is the old account and what/where is the new one? Thanking you so much for you help. Quimby

Reaction score
OK. Have a look in the following places in your new Mac and list what you see.
System Preferences>Users and Groups
MacintoshHD>Users

You should see a list of all the accounts on your new Mac.

Reaction score
OK. Have a look in the following places in your new Mac and list what you see.
System Preferences>Users and Groups
MacintoshHD>Users

You should see a list of all the accounts on your new Mac.
Okay. Under Current User, Ira Dobren Admin is highlighted. (Ira Dobren is my husband and he has always been listed on our computers as the Administrator. Has never been a problem.) Under Other Users, it lists: Arlene Dobren Sharing Only (that's me) and Guest User Login Only. Neither of those is highlighted.

Reaction score
When using Migration Assistant, if your old Mac has an account that has the same name as an account already on your new Mac, you'll be prompted to either rename the old account or replace the one on your new Mac. If you choose to rename, the old account will appear as a separate user on your new Mac with a separate home folder and login. If you choose to replace, the old account will delete and then replace the account on your new Mac, including everything in its home folder.

From what you say above, if the files from your old Mac are not in the accounts on the new Mac, then it would seem that nothing was migrated.

Ask a Question