Transferring files from 1.4MB floppy disks to windows compatible

Reaction score
i have two 1.4MB floppy disks with family genealogy information on them that I need to import into my Windows based family tree software. I do not have access to an Apple computer. I am running Ubuntu Linux if that is of any help.

Reaction score
I had a similar situation, I had some old college research that was on 3.5" floppy disks, I purchased an external/USB floppy drive and transferred the files over to a thumb drive.

It has been a while since I have used this, so I just tried it on a Debian linux box and all worked well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The floppies are formatted for the MAC. Ubuntu file manager throws the following error:

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Mounting the floppy drive from the terminal is successful in showing the files on the floppy but fails when attempting to copy them:

mccc@mccc-DT0717:/$ sudo hmount /dev/sdb
Volume name is "Cas/Lak Trees (Cy)"
Volume was created on Tue Jul 17 09:45:03 1990
Volume was last modified on Sun Aug 11 15:29:41 2002
Volume has 623104 bytes free

mccc@mccc-DT0717:/$ sudo hls
Casp Genlgy - Conv Cy #4 copy Lakrm Genlgy - Conv Cy #3 copy

mccc@mccc-DT0717:/$ sudo hcopy 'Casp Genlgy - Conv Cy #4 copy' /media/mccc/recovery
hcopy: "Casp Genlgy - Conv Cy #4 copy": incomplete block read (Input/output error)

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Reaction score
If the disks can be read, I suspect that the files may not be compatible with your genealogy software.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The line: hcopy: "Casp Genlgy - Conv Cy #4 copy": incomplete block read (Input/output error) shows that the file Casp Genlgy - Conv Cy #4 copy is corrupted or the floppy disk has bad blocks/sectors which cannot be read.

Try copying a single file and see if it works. If so, you may need to do that for individual files, since the floppy disk may be failing.

C

Ask a Question