Too many photos!

Reaction score
What is the best way to move 16,000+ photos from Mac to external drive? I tried moving Library 1, it seems like it’s still there.

Reaction score
When you move a file to an external drive, it copies it so the original is still on your Mac. Have you checked the external drive to see if it's there?

Reaction score
Yes, it is in my external drive. I tried to make new iPhoto Libraries. Not sure if I did it correctly.
How do I dispose of the moved file? Since I share all photos on all devices, I'm bursting at the seams. What would you suggest?

Reaction score
Once you are happy that your Photos Library is on the external drive and working correctly, you can delete it from your Mac.

I don't share my photos with other devices, so I can't advise how it would work with an external drive. Obviously you would have to have the drive connected to your Mac, but whether shared photos from other devices would go to the Library on that drive, I couldn't say.

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I found it looking for something else and may have the answer you want.

Finder -> Go -> Home -> Users -> [your account name] -> Pictures -> Photo Library

You should be able to delete it. If not, consider just deleting all the picture files. Zeroing out content is better than nothing. ;)

I hope I got that right...

Reaction score
Speaking of migrating iPhoto folders, I'm having trouble. I can migrate it but I get 2-6 copies of every picture. The source HD doesn't have duplications on it. I couldn't find an app on the new Mac Mini to delete duplicate files (is there one?) so I downloaded Disk Drill (after finding many sites that said it was safe and effective), which promised to do that. But it only removes about 25%. Re-running it seems to have no effect.

I could spend a day (or 3) deleting them manually, but can anyone give me a better suggestion?

Ask a Question