Bluetooth mouse no longer works

Reaction score
Because my Macbook Pro is getting a swollen battery, making the trackpad directly above it difficult to push down on, I bought a Bluetooth mouse (Elecom) since that was a cheaper solution. Expecting to have money to replace this 5.5-year-old Mac in early 2020.

The mouse worked for six days, and now refuses to connect. I tried everything: Restarted Mac. Restarted mouse. Replaced mouse batteries. Turned Bluetooth off and on. Removed mouse from Bluetooth's known devices, thinking I could reconnect it (one of the recommended fixes), but Bluetooth refuses to notice the mouse, even if I press the "pairing" button on the mouse.

Do I have any recourse besides taking the mouse back to the store?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Haven't heard of that brand before. Which model is it? Does it have it's own USB receiver? Do you have other Bluetooth devices that work?

Also, I recommend getting the battery replaced if it is swelling to that point. It could cause other damage to the internals of your MacBook Pro.

It could be a failed mouse. If they have a return policy, you could try swapping it.

C

Reaction score
Elecom is a pretty common brand here in Japan; maybe not in the US.
Anyway, I let the mouse sit with its power off for some hours, then tried it again and it worked immediately! So, I guess I need to shut it off at night.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
HA! Glad it is working again.

ELECOM is sold here in the US...just hadn't come across it before.

Let us know if the issue returns.

C

Reaction score
It keeps popping up. Monday it was fine, but Tuesday it was back. I turned off the mouse for a few hours, and when I turned it back on, it connected right away. Today, Wednesday in Japan, it's not working again.

What I'm wondering is, is it the mouse, or is it a problem with my Mac?

I have one other Bluetooth device, a speaker that I normally only use with my iPhone. Turned off iPhone so the speaker wouldn't connect to it, and tried to connect the speaker to my Mac. Mac can't find it.

Ask a Question