TechTool Pro 10 - "Volume Optimization" Issue with HD

Reaction score
I am having trouble with "Volume Optimize" on one of my (4) Mac HD's.

I always run (1) File Optimization first....... Then I run (2) Volume Optimization last.

Works great on 3 of my 4 HD's. #4 HD is the culprit.

File Optimization works fine on it. Volume Optimization seems to time out. It says... "Volume Optimization Canceled" This happens within a minute or so after starting the Optimization.

The drive is a 4 TB drive "See attached screen shot."

Any Ideas why this is doing this?

Reesche

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 10.44.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 10.44.43 AM.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 1.png
    1.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 251
  • 2.png
    2.png
    197.6 KB · Views: 251

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

In my experience, this could be caused by bad blocks/failing HDD. I would run a Surface Scan in TTP on the drive with the issue, to rule out any hardware issues.

Also, it looks like Drive 4 may be the startup drive?

Let us know how that goes,

C

Reaction score
Ran Surface Scan on TTP last night........."No Bad Blocks Encountered"

I didn't think that Drive 4 was bad.... it is my newest 4TB but it is the fullest as far as files go. I am constantly using/adding and trashing files on this drive. I use it as my working back up.

Any thing else you guys can think of?

Reesche

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 11.09.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 11.09.58 AM.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Hey Cory or somebody.......This issue is still with me. Any more help with Tech Tool Pro 10 issue?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I am still looking into it.

Honestly, modern drives not need full optimization like they did previously, due to the increases in access speed. Windows machines needed it more than Macs back in the day.

OS X/macOS does a file optimization automatically when the system is idle.

I will keep looking,

C

Reaction score
Sounds good, thank you Cory!

I just can not figure out WHY this new 4TB drive will not let me optimize it. Whan all 3 of my other drives will? I have been using TTP for years and this has never happened.

Drive 4 is not my start up disc. I use Drive 1 as my start up disc/work drive.

Drive 4 (drive in question) has a ton of mp4's on it that I consistantly load and delete these files on that drive.

Let me know if you have any other ideas Cory.

Reesche

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

-Has it ever completed the optimization successfully?
-Is the 4 TB WD Blue drive in a Western Digital enclosure?
-I see it is Mac OS Extended (Journaled), but is it GUID Partition Map?
-Do you happen to have DiskWarrior as well, and can it verify/rebuild the directory?

C

Reaction score
Hey Cory..... Let me answer your questions... I have attached several jpegs for you to look at.

-Has it ever completed the optimization successfully? Not that I know of.

-Is the 4 TB WD Blue drive in a Western Digital enclosure? See attachment.... I think so.

-I see it is Mac OS Extended (Journaled), but is it GUID Partition Map? What does this mean? When you format the drive right? If you view the "System Drive INFO jpeg I believe that it does say GUID.

-Do you happen to have DiskWarrior as well, and can it verify/rebuild the directory? Yes I Do version 5. BUT, I am not sure how to use it, in what order do you run its features? See Attachment.

After you have reviewed all of this, let me know what you think Cory!

Thank you for your persistence!

Reesche

Attachments

• System Drive INFO.png
    System Drive INFO.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 197
  • #4 Drive INFO.png
    #4 Drive INFO.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 218
  • DiskWarrior.png
    DiskWarrior.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 209

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-My bad...I totally miffed and didn't remember it was a Mac Pro...it's an internal drive, not in an external enclosure. ;)
-System Drive Info screenshot: Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table) - correct, that is good
-If you have a backup of the data on that drive (recommended - hopefully you have all the drives backed up that you are optimizing as well), you only need to click the Rebuild button, wait for it to analyze, then click Replace when it prompts you. The other tools aren't used very much at all.

C

Reaction score
Hey Cory....So your saying to use DiskWarrior and apply the "Rebuild to Drive 4"?

Will it erase files etc? The reason I am asking, is this drive is full of .mp4 files and it would be a BIG undertaking to back all of that data up to another HD source.

If I went to all that trouble wouldn't I just erase and reformat the #4 HD?

Please advise...

Reesche

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Rebuild simply rebuilds the disk directory - the file that keeps track of where the files are on the drive. It won't erase the data. But, as always, it is important to always have a backup of your drive. It isn't a matter of if a drive will fail at some point, just when.

Rebuilding the directory is approximately the same data exposure as optimizing the drive...meaning you are taking the same chance peforming both of those actions without having a proper backup. Any utility that moves/changes the drive file structure always has the possibility of data loss.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question