Any Good Reason to Upgrade to TechTool Pro 9.6?

Reaction score
I'm a long-time TechTool user, but I'm running 10.12.6 Sierra with an SSD. Do I really need to upgrade from 9.5 to 9.6, especially since I have no intention of upgrading to High Sierra (10.13.x) until I'm extremely confident all the bugs and glitches have been worked out. Even then, something is gnawing at my gut about reformatting my SSDs to APFS since all my other externals are conventional HDs.

Reaction score
I use High Sierra, and thus am using Tech Tool Pro V9.6.1. If V9.5 is fully functional with Sierra, then you should be good. The upgrade to V9.6 only costs $19.99, and I actually did upgrade previously from V9.5 to V9.6. when I was using Sierra. I honestly can't remember why I did it.

Reaction score
I've been using TTP since Version 2 and have kept it upgraded. I just wasn't sure if I needed this upgrade. I mean, have any of the now-useful features in 9.5.3 been improved upon? I read the e-mail they sent me and went to their website, and naturally, they were touting the new version (9.6) as being the next-best thing to the Second Coming, which any company will do when marketing a new or "improved" product.

From what I can see, they've simply added a RAM checking feature, which I already have in a separate MicroMat product called ATOMIC. And they've added a way to check your Internet connection speed, which I can already do by accessing my DSL modem through my web browser.

One feature they've touted for years has been file and disk optimization. From everything I've read over the last couple of years, this isn't necessary for anyone running a Mac running a G3, G4 or later with a convention HDD. And far as SSDs are concerned, MicroMat tech support people (and from Other World Computing) have told me that any kind of optimization with a SSD is actually contraindicated. That said, I don't know why they keep that feature included in all the TTP versions they've released over the last dozen years or so.

I used to religiously defrag my HDDs until a tech support guru at OWC told me that I may have shortened the life of some of my drives by engaging in that practice. He told me it's much more important to keep no less than 10-12% of the drive's capacity free so that Apple's disk management routines have more elbow room with which to work. And being the curmudgeon I've turned into, I never let ANY drive get more than 75-80% full.

All that said, perhaps you can expand on your original reply since I'm always interested in your point-of-view.

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words, and also an accurate description of "things". I'd like to make some comments.

First, regarding High Sierra, except for it being slow at starting up either of my Macs (faster on my mid 2017 13" Mac Book Air than on my late 2012 Mac Mini; both have internal SSDs), or switching from one startup "device" to another, I am having no issues at all with High Sierra. As expected, the two internal SSDs are formatted as APFS. For both of my external devices (512 gig Samsung 850 Pro SSDs), there are 3 partitions on each: two of the partitions, formatted as APFS, are for the SuperDuper! backups for each of my Macs, and the third partitioned, formatted as MacOS Extended, contains "other stuff" (like past tax returns, photos, movies, TV series, etc.). Of course, I make a concerted effort to keep both of my Macs "lean, mean, and clean", and this includes keeping all of my software up to date.

I actually have a good amount of third party software on both machines: VLC, Transmission, Quicken 2007, Quicken 2017, Onyx, Tech Tool Pro, Office 2016 (actually only Outlook 2016, Word 2016, and Excel 2016), SuperDuper!, AppCleaner, GrandPerspective, Malwarebytes (not all the time "active"), TrashIt!, GrandPerspective, etc. Except for a minor "glitch" with Quicken 2007, all of my software functions fine (I am not including my browsers Google Chrome, Opera, and Firefox, as they tend not to depend on the OS).

I cannot say about issues with external HDDs formatted as Mac OS Extended, so maybe someone else can "chime in" about such an environment.

Secondly, I know quite a number of folks complained to Micromat about having to pay another upgrade fee to upgrade from V9.6 to V9.6.1, and while I can somewhat understand such "gripes", to me it was justified. As it is, Micromat, Shirt Pocket Software (developers of SuperDuper!, and Bombich Software (developers of Carbon Copy Cloner) needed to devote significant time and resources to come up with fully functional High Sierra compatibility. Yes, Micromat is the only company out of those 3 that charger for the upgrade, but based on what I read, it was worth it. And to me it is worth it, as I depend upon Tech Tool Pro (along with Onyx and SuperDuper!).

Third, yes, it is not good (in fact "bad") to optimize/defragment SSDs). I of course have never done it. Also, I think the reason why Micromat still has those features included with Tech Tool Pro is that there are still a number of folks that have traditional HDDS as internal drives. I myself never believed any of that "talk" about not needing to defragment/optimize HDDs. I always did it with mine, and I really did not seed any decrease in the useful life of such HDDs. (I've actually been hearing the same BS about Permissions Repair. Unfortunately, both Titanium Software (the develops of Onyx) and Micromat no longer include that feature, at least with the High Sierra versions of their products. It actually can still be done, but requires the use of Terminal).

It seems like you have the "advanced" features of V 9.6 covered, although I've never used the feature to check my internet speed (there are other free products available that can do that very well, and my speed with Comcast/Xfinity and my Telephony modem is fine).

The latest version of Tech Tool Pro is V9.6.1, and it is fully compatible with High Sierra (Disk Warrior and Drive Genius are not). I suspect there is no harm in upgrading, but I am unsure if the upgrade fee from V9.5 to V9.6.1 is $19.99, or $29.99. When and if you do upgrade to High Sierra, however, I suspect you know that an upgrade for Tech Tool Pro will be a necessity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
MicroMat is offering me a direct jump from 9.5.3 to 9.6.1 for $20. It would bother me to pay that for such a seemingly small incremental jump.

What really toasted my gonads to a very deep second degree was back in 2000 when I ordered an upgrade from MacZone or MacMall (don't remember which) for Illustrator 6 to version 7. Naturally, the toll was Adobe's standard $159. When it arrived, along with a big box of the old 100 MB ZIP disks, they'd thoughtfully placed a copy of their latest catalog right on top of my merchandise. My eyes immediately fell on the cover, which loudly and proudly proclaimed the availability of Illustrator 8!!! I nearly excreted a brick (caddy-cornered) when I saw that.

I was on the phone with that vendor in record time, and they knew in no uncertain terms the level of my agitation. I mean, I'd already reached the point that I was equating Adobe with the Devil's very own workshop and a company which possessed the morals of a Congressman.

Nevertheless, I received an overnight FedEx delivery the next day with a farm-fresh copy of Illustrator 8 with the vendor's compliments. Hell, I'd never even taken the shrink-wrap off of version 7! Had to install it anyway just to get version 8 to install because those diseased offspring of unwashed carrion eaters at Adobe didn't allow jumping "full versions" of any of their software with meager upgrades. I believe I covered that in the recent rant I posted here. Somehow, I don't feel I've adequately conveyed the full spectrum of my emotions concerning nose-picking scumbags who likely dine regularly on partially coagulated camel phlegm.

Regardless of my depthless contempt for the above-mentioned cretinous swine-herders, no one has ever come up with anything as good as Photoshop, and Freehand seems to have fallen far behind Illustrator. I just can't seem to let go of the fantasy that those blackmailing purveyors of moral turpitude get acne on their hemorrhoids and leprosy on their collective scrotums.

Here's a little something I cooked up some time ago and thought this might adequately express my feelings:

Adobe 3x4 Lo-Res.jpg

Sounds like you have a boatload of software, many I've never heard of. I have no use whatsoever for any Microsoft products. I much prefer the OpenOffice Suite, usually just for spreadsheets. I am pretty happy with SimpleText for regular word processing before I dump the text into an InDesign template like a letterhead, etc.

As far as utilities are concerned, I'm satisfied with TTP, InTech SpeedTools (much like TPP, but I'm getting to like more and more), Carbon Copy Cloner and Norton Security. My needs are simple.

I've spat enough bile for this. My wife would say it was time for my meds if she read this post, provided I were on any meds other than for my blood pressure.

Thanks for the reply!

Reaction score
I really enjoy your posts. And you can rant as much as you like, as they are justified! (I also take (generic) high blood pressure medicine, along with generic Lipitor for my slightly high cholesterol).

Regarding the version "jump" for Tech Tool Pro, in actuality, and as I mentioned, I know that Micromat went through a lot of effort to arrive at a fully functional version compatible with High Sierra. I am willing to bet that the upgrade price for Disk Warrior and Drive Genius will be similar. I am surprised, though, that neither Shirt Pocket Software nor Bombich Software charged anything for upgrading SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner (I see you use it), respectively, for High Sierra compatibility. As I mentioned, and from from what I read, both companies went through a good amount of time and effort to develop those upgrades.

While quite a number of folks have a good amount of disdain for Microsoft, I actually have been pleased with Office 2008, Office 2011, and now Office 2016. I especially am very pleased with Outlook 2016. It is a stable, dependable EMail client (as was Outlook 2011). I actually hated to use Microsoft software on Windows PCs, and that was when I was working. I always could not wait to get to my Mac and use the more "pleasant" software, even the Mac versions of Outlook, Word, and Excel. One thing I will say is that Microsoft has really put in a good amount of effort to make all the Office software just about "universal" in terms of compatibility, and processing files developed in one "platform" version on the other platform.

Again, keep up your posts! They are enjoyable, entertaining, and educational!

Reaction score
I really enjoy your posts. And you can rant as much as you like, as they are justified! (I also take (generic) high blood pressure medicine, along with generic Lipitor for my slightly high cholesterol).

Regarding the version "jump" for Tech Tool Pro, in actuality, and as I mentioned, I know that Micromat went through a lot of effort to arrive at a fully functional version compatible with High Sierra. I am willing to bet that the upgrade price for Disk Warrior and Drive Genius will be similar. I am surprised, though, that neither Shirt Pocket Software nor Bombich Software charged anything for upgrading SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner (I see you use it), respectively, for High Sierra compatibility. As I mentioned, and from from what I read, both companies went through a good amount of time and effort to develop those upgrades.

While quite a number of folks have a good amount of disdain for Microsoft, I actually have been pleased with Office 2008, Office 2011, and now Office 2016. I especially am very pleased with Outlook 2016. It is a stable, dependable EMail client (as was Outlook 2011). I actually hated to use Microsoft software on Windows PCs, and that was when I was working. I always could not wait to get to my Mac and use the more "pleasant" software, even the Mac versions of Outlook, Word, and Excel. One thing I will say is that Microsoft has really put in a good amount of effort to make all the Office software just about "universal" in terms of compatibility, and processing files developed in one "platform" version on the other platform.

Again, keep up your posts! They are enjoyable, entertaining, and educational!
I'm glad you enjoy my posts. I also rant at the TV frequently, prompting Connie to wonder aloud if she should have me screened for rabies.

As I understood it when I first purchased Carbon Copy Cloner, I'd get all their future upgrades free. I've updated it at least twice, maybe three times, and never paid a penny after the initial purchase.

I don't raz on Microsoft like I used to. I just don't have a need for any of their software. However, I was a HUGE fan of Word 5.1 for Mac. That was one lean, mean, clean word processing machine packed with features with almost no clutter. It ran fast and was stable. Whoever wrote Word 6 for Mac should've been forced to go into a poorly lit room and forced to play Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic pistol. That was a major league turd of the first order. You should check out OpenOffice. Don't have the link, but it's easy to find. It's thoroughly documented and offers a "check for updates" feature in the menu. And it doesn't get any cheaper than free!

I only take 40 mg. of Lisinopril and 5 mg. of Norvasc for my BP. For many months after my hospitalization last summer for acute pancreatitis, I had to go off the BP stuff altogether because my pressure dropped so badly. I also have a chronic sodium deficiency, so I can put salt on my salt. The bad thing about that is I'm prone to a LOT of nocturnal foot cramping.

I lost 40 lbs. in six days then, and have never been able to regain that mass. In fact, Connie's got me on a FitBit and tracks a ton of stuff. What's funny is that I routinely (and grossly) exceed my "recommended" daily caloric intake. I can eat as many as 4,500 calories a day and actually lose weight, and more often than not, when my caloric intake is within bounds, I'll actually put on a couple of pounds or so. Go figure.

I'm not totally sedentary either. Besides walking at least a mile a day, I've been routinely playing my drums between ninety minutes and two hours a day, and that can be a lot tougher workout than you might imagine. While I detest most late '80s and all '90s music, playing along with "Take On Me" by A-Ha can cause me to break out in a sweat. I also like to play along with a very fast-paced live version of "Tush" by ZZ Top. Grand Funk's "Footstompin' Music" is a lot of fun to play, too. Thank God for iTunes and my Bluetooth Bose speakers! If I cranked the volume up past 70%, I'd have to mic my drums! I'd probably also have to replace a few window panes and the toilet it Connie's bathroom (right across the hall from my den).

I hope the moderator's here don't get too much of a cockle-burr under their saddles over the mutual admiration society we've seemingly founded.

Reaction score
When I read your post above (and the previous one), I am all smiles! Glad we can have some pleasure and humor around here!

I believe the same is true of SuperDuper!, regarding upgrades. I used it in demo mode for almost a year, and then finally purchased it. I have upgraded a number of times (by the way, a new version of Carbon Copy Cloner came out yesterday, V5.0.6, and a new version of SuperDuper! came out today, V 3.1.4).

I actually never used any Microsoft products on my Mac until Entourage came out. Then, it was Office 2008, and as I previously mentioned, Office 2011 after that, and now I am on Office 2016 (actually been using it for the past year or so). I do remember reading all the gripes about Word 6.

I take 100 mg of Losartin for my high blood pressure, and 20 mg of generic Lipitor. That's it. My wife takes only 20 mg of Lisinopril, and like me me, 20 mg of generic Lipitor. But unfortunately, she also needs to take medicine for her diabetes, and she can't just take Metformin (a generic). She has to take Janumet. Fortunately, our doctor has been giving us plenty of samples of Janumet, and we have enough until August. After that, we'll need to pay for it. Not sure when it will become generic.

I go swimming 3 of 4 times a week during the winter months (our Medicare Advantage Plan includes a free membership to various health clubs. (I go to an LA Fitness close by (I also, when the weather is "decent", go for 2 hour walks with my wife (she also sometimes comes to LA Fitness with me)). But starting in late March, I start doing quite a lot of hiking, and also picking some ferns (my wife is Korean, and the ferns I pick are actually a delicacy for Koreans. But it grows like crazy up here in Washington state). By the time late June rolls around, that fern picking season is over, but I tend to lose about 10 pounds by then. After doing my 3 "summer" projects around our place, berry picking season starts in late July. And by Labor Day weekend, I can pick real, nice sweet green grapes, and some nice plums, all the way through September. My wife makes excellent wine from the berries and grapes. To me, it is MUCH, MUCH better than any wine I have had. And we have been to vineyards in Italy and France. My wife's wine is just so good, and good for my health, as it's almost 100% natural. In October, we pick chestnuts, again way better than they sell in the store.

I actually like a lot of music from the 70's, 80's, and 90's, but it would take me forever to list all the artists I like. To name a few, though, I like Fleetwood Mac, Journey, Bryan Adams, Foreigner, Carrie Underwood, etc., etc.

OK, I need to eat dinner.

Reaction score
I forgot to mention something else, and it is something similar to what your wife might do about you ranting at the TV.

There are times when I am driving, and I rant on other drivers. Even though I am correct with my rants, my wife says, "Why are you saying that? The other driver can't hear you". Of course she is correct, but I tell her that I am just relieving some of my frustrations.

Oh well, as they say, listen to the woman!

Reaction score
I forgot to mention something else, and it is something similar to what your wife might do about you ranting at the TV.

There are times when I am driving, and I rant on other drivers. Even though I am correct with my rants, my wife says, "Why are you saying that? The other driver can't hear you". Of course she is correct, but I tell her that I am just relieving some of my frustrations.

Oh well, as they say, listen to the woman!
Connie gets flustered with me for screaming at the television, and I tell her it's a good thing my .41 Magnum is locked away in the safe rather than with me in the den, or I'd regularly be replacing my TV after repeatedly refuting the unmitigated prismatic prevarications spewing from the mouths of some of the ass clowns the American people stupidly keep re-electing to represent them. And she admonishes me for screaming at other drivers just as your wife does with you. I gently remind Connie that it took her years to accomplish the feat of getting me to verbally assault other drivers rather than use my previously favorite method of using sign language which involved the strenuous use of my middle finger. Much the way it took Bess Truman a long time to get Harry to use the word "crap" rather than his favorite descriptive of fecal matter.

If I somehow manage to live to the age of my beloved parents, I hope I won't be as tethered to a medicine cabinet as they are. I'm amazed at how well versed they are in pharma-lingo. I'd certainly like to know exactly what kind of perverse minds the Committee to Come Up With Ridiculous Names for Hideously Expensive Medications possess. Where the devil do they come up with some of these names??? I'm privately convinced many of them are carrying on illicit affairs with a couple of demented adulterous women named "Millicent" and "Cecilia" and that said committee members subliminally name drugs after them. Think about it. How many meds contain syllables with "cil" and "mil" in them. I don't know about "met," but I'm sure she's quite a licentious slut in her own right given the number of products named after her.

"Listen to the woman" you say? Heck, that would take a large measure of fun out of my day. She's actually convinced I believe the TV can really hear me. Like whenever the History Channel plays anything about Andrew Carnegie in it and I patiently repeat the last name correctly after the narrator/character pronounces it wrong.

Reaction score
Yes, the Roger Maris High Sign, along with the use of the middle finger salute in "The Godfather". I also say to some folks that represents your IQ + 1.

Ask a Question