Old Apple display is signaling with 3 flashes... what is the reason?

Reaction score
Expecting this old monitor to bite the dust anytime so wish to know what the 3 flashes on the right side means so that I can take action before anything happens. Thank you!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I don't know the specifications of your Apple Display but I found this, hope it helps:

Apple suggest, if the blinking sequence is :

short, short, short

The display is detecting wrong video format or an unsupported resolution.​

Verify that your equipment is compatible and restart the computer. If the issue continues, reset the PRAM.​

short, long, short

Make sure you are using the correct power adapter with the display. This alert will only appear on displays built in 2004 or later which require an external power adapter.​

short, short, long

The display is detecting a backlight error.

Check your display's power connections and restart the computer. If the problem continues, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. this of course could be caused by failed components on the LCD circuit board.​

Reaction score
Thank you! Yep it is the short, short, long. Not a good sign so am looking into replacement as this is a very old monitor and has been showing signs on startup that all is not well.

Reaction score
Hello,

Yep it is the short, short, long
That sequence of flashing led light on those acrylic style monitors I believe was a sign of either the inverter board or one of the ccfl tubes starting to break down.:( Not sure if it is an economical repair.

Reaction score
I concur that it is really not something that should or could be repaired. It is a very old monitor and is the second one I have had. It has shown other issues of failure before this one so am looking to replace. Thanks to all for the help and replies.

Ask a Question