Old Apple ID password request keeps popping up

Reaction score
Some time ago I changed my Apple ID and password, but frequently I am asked for the password associated with the old ID. How can I get rid of it? I suspect ICloud is involved because I have had it pop up on another of my computers.

Reaction score
Jasper, I have a similar problem, compounded; I can't remember the password for the old (disabled) ID and even though I changed to new ID and new password, ICloud keeps pestering me to provide old password. Now I can't access ICloud at all, just getting messages. Did you solve your problem??

Reaction score
No, I have not solved the problem. It arose after I had trouble with a Yahoo mail account. I contacted Yahoo but they took so long to get back to me I had to open a new mail account. That email address was my Apple ID. (I'm pretty sure I closed the old account) So I had to also change my Apple ID. Everything now works but this old request keeps popping up telling me that it has expired and that I need to enter my password. I've not had any information about how to resolve this.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry we didn't get back to you sooner.

-Can you post the exact error message text that you are getting - i.e. ids it from iCloud/FaceTime/Messages/iTunes/Keychain?
-Is it random or constant?
-You mentioned you got the same prompt on other Macs as well - is it the exact same prompt?
-If it is iCloud, have you tried signing out, then back in?
-Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-Do you have any/does it happen on any iOS devices as well?

C

Reaction score
The error message is: iCloud Password
Please enter your password for [Old Apple ID]

I have two iMacs, and old one and a new one that I've had only a few months. This message never appears on the new one; it appears every time I start my old iMac; it appears randomly on my Macbook Pro, and it never appears on my iPad or iPhone.
On my old iMac I signed out and then signed in with my wife's ID and password, but the problem remains. Every time I boot the computer it appears-twice. When I cancel the first one it comes up again. Cancel the second and there is no further repeat.
No I don't have backup of my data.
As for Keychain, I don't know. I don't understand keychain at all. How would I know if there was a problem there?
Is it the same prompt on my Macbook? I think so but am not 100% sure. It only comes up now and then on the Macbook.
Nothing makes sense, does it? !!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK - does it ask for the password for the same reason - i.e. iCloud, or does it ask for FaceTime, Messages, etc.?

The Keychain is where all of your passwords are stored by Mac OS X. There may be an old entry for the old Apple ID in there, that we can delete.

C

Reaction score
On the old iMac it always asks for iCloud. As for Macbook, I'm pretty sure it is the same. I've never seen any reference to FaceTime or Messages when this request appears.

Reaction score
The reason that many people continue receiving Apple ID messages after changing their ID usually has to do with content stored on their device that was associated with a previous ID. For example, you download a free App with appleid1, then you change your login to appleid2 at some point after downloading it and the App has an update. That update will now require you enter the credentials for user1 in order to proceed updating. This is certainly annoying and the only way to truly remedy it is to re-download the same app using appleid2.

The best way to change your apple id is to change the email address associated with it INSTEAD of creating a brand new apple id.

Another solution you can consider is having separate IDs for your iCloud and your App Store/iTunes/iBooks purchases, etc. It depends what the reason was for changing your Apple ID.

Hope this makes sense, happy to clarify further if necessary.

Reaction score
Every 5 minutes or so a pop up ask me for my key chain password followed by another pop up asking for my password for something else, how can I stop this?

Ask a Question