Problem with my screen

Reaction score
This morning I woke up and my (5 month old) MacBook Air has a diagonal line on the right side. On the rest of the screen there are tiny dots and on the left side of the screen there are 2 white circles. I didn't do anything to the Mac other than use it as normal yesterday. Any idea what could be the issue?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Is there any way you could upload a photo of the screen? It may help us diagnose the issue.

Have you tried a simple power off/on?

C

Reaction score
Hi there Cory Cooper.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I did try all the options you suggested and ended up going to a Genius bar at the Apple store in Austria.
I would like to point out at this stage that I take incredible care of my Mac and it always remains on my desk.
They ran a diagnostics and came back with the conclusion that there was water damage.
I was left with the feeling that this might be the new business model for Apple to avoid repairing Macs for free as my Mac has been nowhere near water. I also read online that this has happened to a lot of other people too.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Liquid damage could definitely cause the issue you are experiencing. In my experience, it isn't always a known incident that can cause that type of damage. Many things could have happened when you were away from your computer - someone else spilling liquid near the computer, pets relieving themselves, high humidity situations like steam from a bathroom or an extremely high dew point in the room, rain/snow when in a travel bag, etc. There really isn't any way to tell what happened.

It definitely isn't in Apple's interest or directives to report false evidence of liquid damages. There are sensors in the Mac that change from white to pink if there is any form of liquid introduced to the internal components. In addition, corrosion of the metals internally can happen quite quickly, and are a surefire sign of liquid being introduced. There aren't any commissions for the Genius Bar or store management employees for increasing the number of paid repairs. In my experience it is the opposite - Apple employees are trained to give some of the best customer service in the world, and regularly make exceptions for some damage situations to make customers happy and keep them for life. When they quote evidence of liquid damage, it is normally beyond a small bit, and has affected multiple components that can be costly to repair.

Did they give you any specifics with regards to the liquid damage, the components that were damaged, the cost level tier, etc.?

Hope that helps a little,

C

Reaction score
I have been with my computer 24/7. Nobody else has access to my mac. I bought my Mc in February and it was kept the whole time in my (dry) office space. Thank you very much for your reponse, but having read other similar experiences online, I feel I have been scammed. It doesn't help. It is no secret that Macs generally have a 4 or 5 year span. Mine had less than 6 months. Yes, it does help a "little". But a little just simply isn't enough. I feel I was in a switch and bait situation. I will not be purchasing another Mac, despite being a loyal customer after all these years. I was scammed.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem.

I completely understand your frustration, and I wish there were more that we could do.

Other options you have would be to take it to a another Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for a second opinion. Sometime AASPs can do repairs for less than the standard Apple flat rate tiers.

Best of luck,

C

Ask a Question