MB Air Screen Problem

Reaction score
Help ... my MB Air started to slip off my lap and as I grabbed it the grey plastic strip at the hinge between the body and keyboard parts cracked.

The Air functioned Ok for a little while after but then wouldn't boot up any longer. When I power it up the screen just cycles through a series of different colours - grey, red, green, blue, grey, vertical gradient bars, grey ... no cursor or other activity.

Am I possibly looking at a new screen or night there just be a connector inside that is adrift ?

Thanks in advance for any help that is forthcoming !

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the display assembly suffered a little damage and will probably require a hardware repair/replacement.

-Which model macBook Air?
Are you close to an Apple Store or third-party Apple Authorized Service Provider?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the display assembly suffered a little damage and will probably require a hardware repair/replacement.

-Which model macBook Air?
Are you close to an Apple Store or third-party Apple Authorized Service Provider?

C
Hi Corey ... thanks for your reply. MB Air model A1304 - approx 2008 I believe. I am close to an Apple store but I think that the cost of new screen etc would probably be unwarranted considering the machine's age. I am just wondering if it might be worth checking out YouTube videos to see if there is a connector or something that might have gone awry that I could tinker with.

I've done a few minor things inside misc laptops with the help of a video.

Thanks again!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

I doubt it is simply a loose connection, although it's not totally out of the question. Normally, if the hinge cover is cracked, then internal parts are probably damaged, requiring a replacement. The cycling colors (LCD test mode) on the display are indicative of hardware failure.

You could always try an SMC and NVRAM reset if you haven't already.

C

Ask a Question