SOLVED iMac to MacBook Air Picture transfer.

Reaction score
I can think of at least 2 ways, one being for free, and the other will cost some money:

1. Free method - you can EMail the pictures that are on the iMac to yourself. After you send the pictures, start up your Mac Book Air, and launch your EMail program there. You should see the pictures in your In Box.

2. Depending on the exact Mac models you have, you would need to purchase the appropriate cable, connect the 2 Macs, start up the Mac Book Air, then startup the iMac in Target Disk Mode by holding down the T key while it starts up. The iMac's internal drive will then appear on the Mac Book Air's desktop, and you can then retrieve the pictures from the iMac's drive.

Reaction score
Depends on the number of pictures you have, but you could copy them to an external drive and move them over that way or upload from the imac to icloud or dopbox or soimilar and then pull them back down onto the macbook.

Reaction score
Oops! Yeah, I forgot another option, kind of like what Lufbrarunner stated above. You could copy them to a USB Flash Drive on the iMac, then plug the flash drive into a USB port on your Mac Book Air. If you have a lot of pictures, and the capacity of the flash drive is "not large", it could take a few "passes" to do it that way.

Reaction score
I can think of at least 2 ways, one being for free, and the other will cost some money:

1. Free method - you can EMail the pictures that are on the iMac to yourself. After you send the pictures, start up your Mac Book Air, and launch your EMail program there. You should see the pictures in your In Box.

2. Depending on the exact Mac models you have, you would need to purchase the appropriate cable, connect the 2 Macs, start up the Mac Book Air, then startup the iMac in Target Disk Mode by holding down the T key while it starts up. The iMac's internal drive will then appear on the Mac Book Air's desktop, and you can then retrieve the pictures from the iMac's drive.
OK, I sent my pictures to myself and have them at my MacBook Air, how do I transfer them to photos?

Reaction score
Oops! Yeah, I forgot another option, kind of like what Lufbrarunner stated above. You could copy them to a USB Flash Drive on the iMac, then plug the flash drive into a USB port on your Mac Book Air. If you have a lot of pictures, and the capacity of the flash drive is "not large", it could take a few "passes" to do it that way.
Got it. THANK YOU

Ask a Question