Too many corpses

Reaction score
Hi, Someone has come in with a machine that won't boot, the verbosing showed too many corpses and just kept showing this on boot.
I looked the problem up and it seems deleting the MBR cache is likely going to resolve it.
I tried entering in what was provided but nothing happens. Here are two screenshots, can someone tell me why this isn't working? Thanks.

Attachments

• VLaUXBq.jpg
    VLaUXBq.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 401
  • OIDjPD9.jpg
    OIDjPD9.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 445

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

NOTE: Make sure they have a current Time Machine or other backup of their data. Also check to see if FileVault is enabled.

Your command is slightly off:
Too many corpses being created!

Let us know of that works,

C

Reaction score
I don't believe they have a back up. I'll check about file vault but the disk is mounted isn't it? I can perform health checks on it from recovery.
*update Fault vault is not on.
How is my command off? I'm looking to get this resolved today so honestly I'm just after straight simple answers so I can get it done. I'm very much a Mac novice and I've already spent an hr trying to get this to work / understand what's going on.

I've already tried with using db/caches/opendirectory on the end of the first command and this terminal shows nothing. I'll keep trying..

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The commands in your photo are:
cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var
mv ./mbr_cache ./mbr_cache-old

The ones in the link are:
cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/caches/opendirectory
mv ./mbr_cache ./mbr_cache-old

I thought you had tried the wrong directory. If you tried the from the /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/caches/opendirectory directory and it didn't work, then it may be a corrupted or incomplete install of OS X.

-Which model Mac is it?
-Which version of OS X/macOS is the Mac running?
-You are running these commands while started up from the Recovery Partition, correct?

C

Reaction score
I think it's working. I typed the commands exactly as in the link and I got no errors. I've just restarted it now. Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Same problem unfortunately, the mac's progress bar takes a long time to fill and the mac just halts, stuck on the loading screen.
Doesn't look like something that can be quickly fixed. Any recommendations? Think I'll try verbose mode again and see what it says.

Same thing, too many corpses. Did the command not work? Weird. It just continuously spits this out.
I did try a Mac OS recovery but it said the version on the mac is newer.. Which is also weird, wouldn't the online recovery pull down the latest version?

Repair says invalid disk label not sure if that's a major problem or not, also there's only 30MB odd free on this drive.
Starting to think this is beyond me and they should take it into an actual repair store.

Attachments

• 5LKwXvjl.jpg
    5LKwXvjl.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

There is the issue...30 MB of free space. OS X doesn't have enough free space to start up. They really need to get their data backed up, as the only way to resolve the issue is to delete some files.

It is probably a good idea to refer them to an Apple Store or other Apple Authorized Service Provider, since you mentioned you are a Mac novice.

Hope it goes well for them,

C

Ask a Question