Time Capsule Problems

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Recently my trusty macbook has decided to revolt against me. It is an early 2008 model. Last week the hard drive crashed and was not able to be saved. I ordered a replacement hard drive and have since installed it. When i purchased my laptop i thought that it would be a smart idea to get a time capsule and i have done hourly backups ever since.

After formatting the hard drive, and installing the operating system that was on the latest backup I am still having an issue accessing my files. Did i mention that I am a college kid and it's a week till finals and all my stuff is on the backup files? Yes, I am screwed.

I come to you to ask any and all suggestions to restore my computer to the hour before it crashed. The operating system that I am working from is Snow leopard. When I attempt to access the time capsule from the finder I will get the time capsule drive, and then to the .sparsbundle. When I click on that icon A warning window comes up and states "resource temporarily unavailable" I can click on the icon and perform the "show package contents" action where it will open all of the items. I have also tried to use the disc utilities from the startup disc and it states that there is not backup volume available.

More or less I am wanting to get to the archived backups from my computer before it crashed. I want things to be the way they were before it crashed. I thought getting apple products meant reliability and usability. Guess this whole experience is making me question that thought.

In addition, I have gone to the applications> Utilities> Migration Assistant and select the time capsule and try to connect and an information box will pop up stating "The backup cannot be opened... make sure that all of your network devices are connected and turned on. It appears that this backup is already in use. Make sure the backup is not currently mounted by another machine and try again"

Reaction score
I would recommend a restart and then Migrate from the backup.

I would have done this when installing OS X. You missed that option.

Ask a Question