Open heart surgery on time capsule A1355

Reaction score
On Friday The HDD in my time capsule started making a clicking sound, so in the time honoured way of the I.T. guru I turned it off and on again and the clicking stopped. Obviously I am now thinking the HDD is about to expire, if not now, not long into the future. The A1355 has a 1tb drive, that was at about 3/4 full, so I figured I needed more capacity anyway.
Looking round a new Time capsule with a 2tb HDD would set me back £310 or I could get a 2tb drive for around £60 and do a bit of DIY.
The hardest part of the whole job was getting the rubber base off of the unit, a hairdryer and a small paint scraper did the job, then it was just a matter of removing 10 small screws to release the base, being careful not to disturb the fan connector, peel back the heat sensor and disconnect the SATA connectors. With the drive out of the case I had to the remove 4 spacer screws and put them on the new drive, drop in the new drive connect the SATA leads back on plus replace the heat sensor.
Before sealing it all back up again I quickly powered it up to check that it was working, which it was, I then screwed the base plate back on and reapplied the rubber base.
The whole job took around 20 minutes and saved me £250.
Not sure that I would tackle stripping my iMac or MBP ;)

Reaction score
Can you tell us the source/ brand/model of replacement drive you used. My 2TB is full and would love to do same for it with a larger drive

Reaction score
The 2TB drive I used was a 3.5 inch Western Digital Green.
I sold that particular Time Capsule when I got a good deal on a 3TB A1470 Time Capsule. When this one gets full I will be looking to swap out the drive for something like a 6 or 8 TB drive. I will probably stick with WD as I have never had a problem with one.

Ask a Question