Can Pages 7 in Mojave open MS 2008 files?

Reaction score
I need to install Mojave on my iMac. I've been using MS Office 2008 until now, which I realize won't work in Mojave. I would love to leave the Microsoft world and am hoping that the Pages and Numbers applications in Mojave will be able to open the 2008 Word and Numbers documents that I have on my machine. Is this possible?

Reaction score
I just tried it and it worked. I am using a MacBook Pro Silver with Mojave 10.14.1. I use the latest Microsoft Word Office. With Microsoft Word off, and Pages off, I selected a Microsoft Word document, then from the File Menu I selected Open With, then selected Pages.

Reaction score
I tried an Excel document too, and it opened, and functioned in Numbers.

Of course, Pages and Numbers don't have all the functions that Word and Excel have, but for a limited purpose, they work quite well.

Reaction score
I had been using Office 2011 (Outlook, Word, and Excel), then "upgraded" to Office 2016. But back in August, I experienced a serious issue with Outlook 2016 on my Mac Mini (could not read its "database", yet I was able to view my EMails on my ISP's (Comcast) site). So I "ditched" Outlook 2016 on both of my Macs for the excellent free EMail client Thunderbird, and have not looked back. Then, back in early October, I decided to replace the remaining Office 2016 "stuff" (Word and Excel) with the excellent free suite LibreOffice, and it works like a charm in both High Sierra and Mojave. And its Calc spreadsheet application has easily opened all of my Excel documents. Similarly, its Writer Document has easily processed all of my Word documents.

So, I strongly recommend LibreOffice, available from here:

https://www.libreoffice.org/

A similar stellar one is OpenOffice, available from here:

https://www.openoffice.org/

The differences between the two are 1) LibreOffice has a larger array of formats it can process (ie, both read and write), and 2) with OPenOffice, one can pick and choose which modules to install. With LibreOffice, one needs to have all of them installed. But it does not take up much space. In fact, on my Mac Mi ni (the machine I am using now), it is only 732 MB in size.

Again, the two modules I primarily use, Writer Document and Calc spreadsheet, work flawlessly under both High Sierra and Mojave. ( suspect the same is true for OpenOffice.

Reaction score
indago and honestone - thank you so much for your replies. Since I live in the Bay Area where the air quality index is way over 200 from the fires, I have gone up the coast where I can safely breathe the air. When I return on Wednesday or Thursday, I'll try out your suggestions. Very helpful!

Ask a Question