PAGES

Reaction score
Need a lot more information:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you running?

3. What version of Pages are you using?

4. Can you open the document with Preview or Text Edit (those programs are located in your applications folder)?

5. Where is the file coming from?

Reaction score
I cannot open any .pages document - "The file isn’t in the correct format." Please help.
In your Finder, select the Pages document, but don't open it. Then, move the pointer to the Menu in the upper left of the screen where it says "File", and scroll down to Get Info and select that. You will see a lot of information about the document there. You might be able to open it in another application where it says Open With.

Reaction score
There are instances, though, where a document can be "opened" with an application that is not listed on that "Open With" choice. I have a PDF file on my desktop (document for our Samsung 65" Smart TV). As expected, when I double click on that file, it launches Adobe Acrobat Pro V10 (which I have). But, I can also use the Writer Document module for LIbreOffice to open it. What I do is launch LibreOffice, select the Writer Document module, select Open from the File module, and then select that PDF document. That module is not listed in the "Open With" list following Indago's instructions.

Reaction score
Also, when you bring down the Get Info menu, you will see an item called OTHER. Select that and the Applications Folder will open and you can scroll down the list of items to see if there are any other applications that can be used to open the document.

Reaction score
Oops! Forgot about that one. But given that I have an icon of LibreOffice in the Dock, I launch it from there.

But, I guess we still need the answers to the questions I posed above, so that we can help the individual out. Maybe the file in question needs to be converted first before Pages can process it. That is one thing I like about LibreOffice. Its word processing and spreadsheet modules can accommodate many. many formats.

Reaction score
Need to find out if she created the document, and now can't open it.

Yes. As I said above, "Where is the file coming from?". That will definitely help, along with getting answers to the 4 other questions I posed.

Ask a Question