Pages and pdf - why can't my correspondents read ?

Reaction score
Possibly a dumb question and situation but

Having been used to Windows I am now using on my Mac, Pages.

Which I find relatively hard to use. I thought I would get Word, but you have to pay for that, at least newbies do, and I thought I would wait till next year when a new Word has been promised, I don't know if that is a good way of thinking.

Anyway I can create documents in Pages that look nice. And then I have to save them. So I save them as .pdf. That seems about the only option you are given for saving them. If I ever want to modify one I can open it, copy it, and save it again as PDF.

I thought PDF was something universal that everybody can access, so the best way to send a letter for example.

And then people are answering, I can't open your attachment, so I have to open them again, copy, and paste onto an email.

Is there something everybody knows and I don't?

(If relevant I'm presently with 10.13.6 Mac 13" notebook.)

Reaction score
Previously I had been using Office 2016 for the Mac, with the modules I used being Outlook 2016, Word 2016, and Excel 2016. But two months ago, I switched EMail clients to Thunderbird (excellent free program). Then about 5 weeks ago, I completely abandoned Office 2016 all together for the excellent freeware suite LibreOffice. The modules for word processing and spreadsheets work very well, and I have no problem reading any Word 2016 and Excel 2016 documents I have. Also, those modules offer the most in terms of formats for reading and writimng. You might want to give it a try, and it is available from here:

LibreOffice: http://www.izisetup.com/LibreOffice...94363708&mt=e&bmt=e&adid=34151036846&s=&t=&d=

It is completely compatible with moth Mojave and High Sierra.

By the way, you might want to update your Systems Specs, as it says you are using Yosemite.

Reaction score
So I save them as .pdf. That seems about the only option you are given for saving them
No, you can save them as a Pages document by using the Save option in Pages' File Menu.

And then people are answering, I can't open your attachment
If you are using Apple's Mail for emailing, try ticking the "Send Windows Friendly Attachments". You can find this by clicking the Options buttons at the bottom of the drop down box that appears when you click on the Attachment icon in you email window.

Reaction score
No, you can save them as a Pages document by using the Save option in Pages' File Menu.

I have have used Pages, but like other word processing software, there are typically a choice of different formats that one can save documents to. The reason I mentioned LibreOffice (its word processing module is called "Writer Document") is that it has numerous formats that one can save a document to (and I suspect more formats than Pages has). But if Pages works, good.

Again, the nice thing about LibreOffice is that it is free, has had numerous positive reviews, and so far for me, the word and spreadsheet modules function as well as Word 2016 and Excel 2016.

Reaction score
I have have used Pages, but like other word processing software, there are typically a choice of different formats that one can save documents to. The reason I mentioned LibreOffice (its word processing module is called "Writer Document") is that it has numerous formats that one can save a document to (and I suspect more formats than Pages has). But if Pages works, good.

Again, the nice thing about LibreOffice is that it is free, has had numerous positive reviews, and so far for me, the word and spreadsheet modules function as well as Word 2016 and Excel 2016.

Oops! Meant to say "I have never used Pages". My FAT fingers got in the way again!

Reaction score
Thank you honestone and MightyGem for your helpful information and suggestions. Now I'm busy and travelling but will take those up presently.

Ask a Question