Trouble conecting to Time Capsule

Reaction score
I'm a PC man, but as the general computery guy I was asked to help a friend with a Mac problem.

He has just moved to a new house, the old setup was 2 macs, a desktop running OSX 10.10.5 and a laptop running OSX 10.9.5 connected to a time capsule (I think by wifi, he's not totally sure) and everything backed up fine, but not any more.
In his new house the router (HGW-2501GN-R2 movistar fibre optic) is on the ground flour, and is connected via LAN cable to 3 movistar routers that at being used as Access Points, one for each floor of the house. The time capsule is downstairs along with the desktop mac. the desktop mac backs up absolutely fine no problem whatsoever whether its connected via LAN or wifi, the laptop on the other hand...........

At first the laptop refused to even see the time capsule unless it was connected directly into it via a LAN cable, but I have now got it to the point where I can connect to the main router via wifi and when I open the Airport Utility it displays internet with a green dot and also Time Capsule with a green dot, so then I go to Time Machine, it finds the disk and says "preparing backup" and then it stays on that for ever and after a while the Time Capsule with a green dot changes to Time Capsule with a yellow triangle. Before the green dot changes to a yellow triangle I can actually open time machine and go back through the various dates and view the original files, but after it changes to a yellow triangle when I open time machine I just get blank windows.

What is going wrong?

I have enabled uPnP in the main router.
I tried a different Access point, but it was the same.

Originally the desktop was on "home" network location, and the laptop was "unknown" (? I think, cant quite remember) so I created a "home" location and that did seem to help. I really dont know what those locations do, if anything.

The more I think about it I think its something up with the laptop and nt the network or the routers

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry we didn't get back to you sooner.

The network locations are just multiple settings for networking. For example, you can create one for home and one for travel, so you can use different DHCP settings and auto-join specific networks in different locations.

As fo the Time Capsule/Time Machine issue with the MacBook, it could be a few things.
-Did the computer name change in System Preferences... > Sharing?
-Is the Time Capsule setup to join the router's Wi-Fi network?
-Can the Time Capsule be moved and connected directly to the router via an Ethernet cable?
-It sounds like the MacBook may have been connected directly to the TC via Ethernet previously, since it seems to work better when connected that way in the new location.
-At the old location, was the Time Capsule used as a router, or did he have another ISP-supplied router?

We'll see if we can get things back on track.

C

Ask a Question