Having Trouble Deleting a File

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is a a virus or what, but I can't seem to delete this file on my mother's computer. I am trying to make space on this laptop for her because it saying it is full, and won't download anything. She has a 2014 MacBook Air. When I look at what is taking up space on the computer there are 2 things that show over 100MG: iTunes12.1.1.dmg - 215.4 MB and iTunesSetup.exe - 108.7 MB. When I attempt to drag either to the trash, it turns the trash to an eject symbol, and nothing happens, neither will not delete.

I hope I am posting in the correct area, and someone out there can help! Thank you!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If the drive is full, deleting those two files won't get you much space. Sounds like you are dragging the white disk icons to the trash, which is actually just ejecting them. That's why you are getting the eject symbol.

Try looking in the Downloads folder to see if there are files you can delete there.

C

Reaction score
Along with Cory's excellent (and accurate, "spot on") suggestion, if you can remove any applications that you no longer need, then download and install the excellent freeware program AppCleaner, available from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

It will find most files "associated" with an application (along, of course, with the Application itself).

The other "culprit" that could be taking up space is deleted EMails. Just because you delete an EMail with your EMail program does not permanently remove them from your internal device. Myself, I use Outlook 2016, and it is easy for me to have deleted EMails permanently removed. But the procedure to do it varies from one EMail program to another.

Ask a Question