Trouble downloading a game

Reaction score
hello, there is a game that i have been trying to download for a while, and i cant seem to be able to figure it out. it is called amorous and it would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me get it working

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Where/how have you tried downloading it?

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Are you enquiring about help with downloading the game or with the instructions regarding installing/running the game?

Mac OS X
You will need to have Mono Framework installed and a have GPU capable of running OpenGL 2.1 games at a minimum.

NOTE: This game is not in a proper native Mac Application format, hence some rather draconian steps are required to run the game. This will be corrected with the Steam release.

1. Download and extract the game somewhere on your system
  2. Start a terminal browse to the folder where you extracted Amorous using cd
  3. Make the Amorous.Unix script executable using chmod +x ./Amorous.Unix
  4. Run the game by executing the script using ./Amorous.Unix

Reaction score
Are you enquiring about help with downloading the game or with the instructions regarding installing/running the game?
im asking for help on how to run it, sorry, i should have been more clear, i have tried using the commands they said in terminal but i think im doing something wrong

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Oh that's okay no probs.

So you're going to have to outline which steps you have taken exactly ... your User Account will need to be an Administrator account & I can't tell you for a fact it is even going to work on your MBP.

Reaction score
Oh that's okay no probs.

So you're going to have to outline which steps you have taken exactly ... your User Account will need to be an Administrator account & I can't tell you for a fact it is even going to work on your MBP.
im the sole user and admin of my computer, as of now, i deleted the old download and redownloaded it as to not risk having corrupted the files, i have extracted the files, and started a terminal. i also have the mono framework installed

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Okay, so how are you going with the next steps?
  • Start a terminal browse to the folder where you extracted Amorous using cd
  • Make the Amorous.Unix script executable using chmod +x ./Amorous.Unix
  • Run the game by executing the script using ./Amorous.Unix

Reaction score
Okay, so how are you going with the next steps?
  • Start a terminal browse to the folder where you extracted Amorous using cd
  • Make the Amorous.Unix script executable using chmod +x ./Amorous.Unix
  • Run the game by executing the script using ./Amorous.Unix
the command doesnt seem to work, whenever i try and enter it, it says "./Amorous.Unix: No such file or directory"
and i dont know what to do, i think im doing something wrong

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Well firstly if you haven't already done so I strongly urge you to backup your computer before you continue as Terminal is very powerful & it's so easy to lose everything in a blink of the eye.

Reaction score
Well firstly if you haven't already done so I strongly urge you to backup your computer before you continue as Terminal is very powerful & it's so easy to lose everything in a blink of the eye.
i have, theres no worry about that, and even if everything was lost, its mostly just logins and nothing of value

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Will need a screenshot of your Terminal window I think. Really hard otherwise to figure out what's going on. Shift Command 4 then place the cursor over the Terminal window & press the spacebar, followed by a mouseclick to take the shot. Cheers. SD

Reaction score
Will need a screenshot of your Terminal window I think. Really hard otherwise to figure out what's going on. Shift Command 4 then place the cursor over the Terminal window & press the spacebar, followed by a mouseclick to take the shot. Cheers. SD

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.26.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.26.08 AM.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 428

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Thanks but that window is missing the first part of the instructions, step one. We need to see step 1 then step 2

1. Start a terminal browse to the folder where you extracted Amorous using cd
  2. Make the Amorous.Unix script executable using chmod +x ./Amorous.Unix
  3. Run the game by executing the script using ./Amorous.Unix

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Ah, I get it now ... cd is a basic change directory command used to navigate around from folder to folder.

I think now I understand your issue, is this possibly one of your first times at using Terminal?

Look to be perfectly honest benz animosus, I don't know a whole lot about Terminal. It's quite possible that the instructions I found for you on the internet could be incomplete ... your last post has made me realise that it's missing a vital first step for beginners, so who knows what other vital beginner steps are missing.

The last step which is run the game by executing the script etc could be a 2 part step where they only provided the 2nd step ... "run the game" might require a terminal command in itself, I couldn't tell you for a fact if this is the case because I plainly don't use Terminal that much.

As I wrote earlier it's extremely easy to totally screw up your Mac OS installation by using Terminal without a relatively good knowledge of what you are doing & a whole lot of diligence.

I strongly advise you to educate yourself on Terminal as much as you need in order to carry out what you are attempting.

Ask a Question