Trouble downloading from Sony HDD DCR-SRC300

Reaction score
HI all,
I am not exactly computer savvy but have done this before without an issue.
I have downloaded video from from camcorder in the past so not sure what is going on.
My MAC is a OS X 10.5.8 if this helps.
As mentioned I have a SONY DCR- SCR300 and when I plug the USB in the base cradle of the camera it opens up IPHOTO.
It asks for me to choose on the touch screen CAMERA PRINT CAMERA (again) I choose CAMERA and then it begins to download the footage.
Once done it says IMPORT SELECTION or IMPORT ALL.
I choose IMPORT ALL which it begins to do but then it comes up with an eroor.
It says UNREADABLE FORMAT: 246
The following file could not be imported(This file is in an unrecognizable format):confused:. I don't understand as this has never happened before.
Can anyone help please?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
First things first, try restarting your Mac ...

Do you get the same error message if you choose "Import Selection"?

Are you trying to download/import the movies using the Sony CamCorder's batteries or is the Sony connected to the mains supply?

Have you tried to import the movies to your desktop then import it into iphoto after?

It is also worth a try to use Image Capture.app and then drag and drop to iPhoto ... Image Capture is found in your Applications folder. There should be a setting somewhere in Image Capture to disable iPhoto from launching when it detects the Camcorder .... give it a try :)

It's worth checking if there is enough disc space left on your Mac.

To verify the available disk space on the startup disk by selecting the disk icon in the Finder and choosing File > Get Info. The amount of free space on the disk appears next to Available (see image below).

20101024-kdge2ypdscxabb1rptwurkyqun.jpg

You could delete the preference file:

com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the:

HD ~> Users ~> Your Name ~> Library~> Preferences folder.​

Another troubleshooting measure is to create a new user account:

System Preferences ~> Accounts​

... and see if the problem is repeated there. If it is, then we can be sure that the problem is not just related to your User account.

Ask a Question