[SOLVED] Sound of RElay click and fan kicking in.

Reaction score
Ok have had no results from previous question about invalid leaf Record Count on my G4-500. (either Nothing anyone can come up with, or simply a lack of interest. I am not in position to buy a new Intel Mac and and am unsure how I would transfer all my applications, file, and utilities even if I were to do so.)

I'll Try a new question.

as previously stated have G4-500 1.5GB system Ram that I recently had to replace original Seagate Hard Drive with with a 80GB Western Digital. The Segate was loaded with OS 9.2.2

I installed OSX.4.11 and all updates on new drive. I notice periodically when booted into this drive. a sound of a relay click and either a Fan kicking in or shutting down. This is beside the normal fans that run constantly.

Would this be normal for OSX.4.11 on this old a Machine? :confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Re: Sound of RElay click and fan kicking in.

Hi there,

without hearing the sound it's hard to say what it is...

It may just be the heads moving in the drive..

Can you post the sound?

regards

Ric

Reaction score

How would I go about that? I don't have a USB Mic. and my orignal apple mic for this machine does't seem to work

Ric

Reaction score

Hi there,

do you have a mobile phone? Does it have a recording mode ? Then bluetooth etc across..

Without electrocuting yourself have you tried with the side down to see where the noise is coming from? Is it definitely the drive ? It could be the power supply...

regards

Ric

Reaction score

I have a Motorola Razor V3C and it has a camera/Movie record button.

when I switch to that drive I'll take a movie of the computer with the computer open

Reaction score

Okay I've done some further investigation. I had to go to energy saver Control panel because My monitor was blanking out after 5 minutes of no use. Since I have an CD Monitor there is no burn in problem. So I turned off Blanking out monitor I turned slider to never.

I noticed, That it was checked to shut down Hard drive when possible. I unchecked this. I've never had this checked on my other Drives or other computer so it was unexpected.

I check back in a day or two to let everyone know if this was causing the noise.

Reaction score
Re: Sound of Relay click and fan kicking in.

Well it seems to have been the hard drive from spinning up from being set in energy saver to :

Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible.

Soemthing that should never be done on you startup drive. :(

Ask a Question