[SOLVED] Software Update

Reaction score
I've been bouncing around different forums and I'm not the only person with this problem. Every time I try to use Software Update to install something, after a few minutes of the blue bar I get this error:

"A networking error has occurred: Error NSURLErrorDomain -1005 (-1005). Make sure you can connect to the Internet, then try again."

My internet connection is working perfectly. Indeed, my computer is working perfectly. I have checked permissions.

I'm using a Power Mac G4 running 10.4.11.

karazelle

Reaction score
Re: Software Update

Checked to make sure no Proxy checkboxes are enabled with blank server name fields?

Reaction score

There are no proxy checkboxes checked in the Network control panel; are there other places I should look?

karazelle

Reaction score

You could try to make a backup copy of (simplest way - ctrl or right click and Make Archive) and then trash /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdates.plist and the same in ~/Library/Preferences
Then reboot and try again?

Reaction score

I did delete those pref files (both of them) and rebooted, but it seems to do the same thing.

Reaction score

Of course, now that I've downloaded them and installed them without Software Update, it's tough to test solutions until new things appear in Software Update.

karazelle

Reaction score

Now iTunes 7.7 is out. Did it work?

If it worked, please change this thread to Solved using the Thread tools drop down :)

Reaction score

Thank you for your attentiveness!

I tried installing iTunes 7.7 yesterday, and Software Update wouldn't even go out to the internet. Before when it gave me trouble, it would try to download the file, get it mostly complete, and then die shortly before finishing the download and beginning the install. Yesterday, it wouldn't even go out to the internet; it said it couldn't contact the server to even find out if there were updates (even though my internet was working just fine).

However, today when I ran it, it seemed to work just fine! So, I guess this goes down as solved.

karazelle

Reaction score

Thank you for your attentiveness!

I tried installing iTunes 7.7 yesterday, and Software Update wouldn't even go out to the internet. Before when it gave me trouble, it would try to download the file, get it mostly complete, and then die shortly before finishing the download and beginning the install. Yesterday, it wouldn't even go out to the internet; it said it couldn't contact the server to even find out if there were updates (even though my internet was working just fine).

However, today when I ran it, it seemed to work just fine! So, I guess this goes down as solved.

If it returns, "Unsolve" this thread and let us know :)

Ask a Question