[SOLVED] Saving as HTML

Reaction score
MacBook
OSX 10.4.11

I'm trying to update my webpage after a long break, during which I upgraded to a newer version of everything; now I can't make things work right. Specifically, I can't seem to save any type of document as an HTML file, since no matter what I do, the internet reads it as text and it looks like this: http://salterre.comicgenesis.com .

I'm using Fetch 5.3 to upload, though that seems to be working fine; anything I download through it and upload again will work, but as soon as I change it into a format that I can edit, I can't turn it back again.

I've tried putting up the pages in TextEdit, Appleworks, and Word (all saved as html files). I uploaded them as text, raw data, and automatic. Even though the filenames all end in .html, they don't work like html.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
(I'll be over here grumbling about Ye Olden Days when Simpletext worked for everything...)

karazelle

Reaction score
Re: Saving as HTML

Just a clarification. If you were to download a random page on the internet that is HTML file to your disk, not modify it, then upload it to your webserver and access it (don't care about broken links). Does that look right?

In your web folder (i.e. remote folder) directory in Fetch, are the files properly named .htm or .html ?

What do you mean by "upgraded everything"? On your Mac or on the server?

Reaction score

Yes, I can download html pages from the internet then put them back, and they still work fine. It's just when I edit them that the problem shows up.

They're all named .html, just they way I've always had them.

And by "upgraded everything" I mean I have a new computer, with OSX instead of OS 9-point-something, and new versions of all the applications. I used to use Simpletext for both editing and uploading, but apparently that doesn't exist anymore; TextEdit is the closest thing I've found, and it won't let me edit html (since it opens into a browser-style page, with background and everything, instead of showing me the actual code).

Does that clarify things?

karazelle

Reaction score

TextMate is a popular editor for stuff, also BBEdit (but way way expensive).

What confuses me a bit is what happens in the meantime. I.e. what happens to the documents you work on.

Try this: Create a new blank TextEdit document. Using the Format menu, convert to Plain text.
Write somehing like _html_ _body_ _h1_ This is a title _/h1_ _/body_ _/html_ (you get the idea) and save it as testpage.html
Then upload that and see if it works?

karazelle

Reaction score

Forgot to mention there is a popular free editor called Smultron. The same guy also made "Hallon" and "Lingonberry".

Smultron is quite popular. (Also a name that rings close for me, since its swedish for a berry we have and I am swedish ;) )

Reaction score

Okay, I've spent a couple hours messing with this, and I think I've got it. I don't know why one program is better than the others, but it looks like I've found a way of uploading things that work.

All I have to do is download an existing (functional) page, drag the icon into Appleworks, save it as a cwk document while I work on it, the save it as txt when I want to upload it, and make sure to add a .html label to it.

Then it works. See? http://salterre.comicgenesis.com Isn't it glorious and glitch-free?

Thanks for all the help!

Ask a Question