[SOLVED] g4 processor upgrade

D

dj_apple_jax

for a long time i got by with my 400mhz g4 tower. recently i got a new audio program and instead of buying a new mac, i decided to get a sonnet encore st g4 1.4 processor upgrade. cool, right? well more like maybe. i have always used mac because how easy it is to use what i use and not have problems. anyone ever done this because i now have a problem. how do i start up in os9 and not use classic? i haven't ever had to do this before and that's what i need to do to install the software before i swap out the processor. any help would be great.

Ric

Reaction score
Re: g4 processor upgrade

Hi there and welcome,

have you got an OS 9 CD ? (not the classic one !)

regards

Ric

D

dj_apple_jax

yes sir i do.
yupri4.png

Ric

Reaction score

If you boot from that, pop the cd in then restart hold down the c key whilst booting and you will boot into OS 9.

What software soes the sonnet card want to load ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score

Hi there,

I've just had a lokk on the sonnet site, you need to run the Firware update for the Proccessor to work.

So you are going to need an external drive, then install OS 9 on that, then boot up into that to load the firmware update.

If you don't have a external drive then you will have to wipe your internal one load OS 9 then do the Firmware update, then reload OS X.

regards

Ric

D

dj_apple_jax

i'm gonna go pick up the external drive i was holding back on getting and i'll let you know what happens once i go through this. when i start the mac from an external drive with os9 in it, won't i have to use another key command? like holding d down instead of c?

Ric

Reaction score

Hi there,

Once you have the external drive, plug it in, then pop the OS 9 cd in reboot, keep the c key held down, this will force the Mac to boot from the cd...

Now install OS 9 onto the external drive. Once it has loaded. Reboot. Hold down the option key, this should then give you a choice of which drive to boot from.

then you should be able to install the firmware update.

regards

Ric

Reaction score

i thought the sonnet cpu's always came with a manual
anyway you need to update your frm ware before you can plunk in the cpu
do that carefully
the sonnet encore i used in my sawtooth G4 could boot in os 9 and X

the firmwar eupdate was the most annoying

Ask a Question