[SOLVED] Forum improvement suggestion

karazelle

Reaction score
I simply have a suggestion. I searched and didn't find anyone having posted one, but...

It would be cool to set a "flag" to indicate whether a question has been answered. Ideally this flag would be set-able by the iniator of a thread. It could be "Answered" to indicate it is answered, or have more levels like "Answered" or "Partially answered" or "Not a question" etc. This flag should ideally be visible in lists etc (either as icon or pre/suffixed as text), perhaps opening for "feeds" of only answered or non-answered questions.

Not sure if this is too much work...

Ric

Reaction score
Re: Forum improvement suggestion

Great idea !

I'll see what I can do,

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Try this...

When a question is answered...go to "Thread Tools and mark as "Solved"

The menu is coming up twice for some reason at the minute...

Please ffel fee to use it, and we'll get the bugs sorted.

Once it appears to be working correctly we'll do a "How to..." email to all the members so they know what to don.

thanks again.

Ric

Ric

Reaction score

...I've changed it so "Solving" a post doesn't close it.

I think that sometimes people will want to reply...say thankyou etc.

What do you think ?

regards

Ric

karazelle

Reaction score

What do you think ?

regards

Ric

I think that's the better solution.

Cool :)

karazelle

Reaction score

What do you think ?

Striked that. This post used to be about suggesting Solved read before the current prefix of "Tip", "Info" etc, but looking at list view, that prefix isn't part of the link, so the current system is fine.

karazelle

Reaction score
Try this...

When a question is answered...go to "Thread Tools and mark as "Solved"

Once it appears to be working correctly we'll do a "How to..." email to all the members so they know what to don.

thanks again.

Ric

This is looking good! :)
Two things. For me, in Safari, the "picture" to the left of the Solve/unsolve feature on the menu seems broken. I'm assuming this is just temporary, but I wondered...

Also, I notice that your system provides RSS feeds. I guess one could make a "view" or link or whatever to a kind of "feed" of unsolved items, so it would be quick for people who like to help to see what is or isn't answered, ideally through RSS readers as well.

A little side note. I currently subscribe to most of Apples RSS feeds. This site also seems to subscribe to them, so I get the tips twice. I guess it's not possible to "opt out" of the Apple feeds or external feed entries when you subscribe to this forums RSS feed, or opt to only sub to a feed related to the forum or similar?
That is merely a little annoyance and surviveable, but still.. ;)

Ric

Reaction score
Good, keep the suggestions coming.

The forum runs vBulletin software so ther are lots of addons we can 'addon'..

vbulletin.org has a mod forum where you can see what we 'could' add on. We are running 3.7.x

I do try and limit the add ons to a degree, when vbulletin gets updated (which is about 10 times a year) most of the plugins etc have to be all re added / coded etc...which can take a while to add all the edits back in.

Picture link is now fixed... ;-)

I have it set up to automatically 'get' and post from a few of the Apple RSS feeds. So people that don't know they exist can get the news from here.

You can subscribe to 'each' forum individually, then you won't get the Apple news ones etc. This is a bit of a pain but you only have to do it once for each forum that interests you.

I'll see if I can set up a feed 'without' the Apple feeds...

Also, I notice that your system provides RSS feeds. I guess one could make a "view" or link or whatever to a kind of "feed" of unsolved items, so it would be quick for people who like to help to see what is or isn't answered, ideally through RSS readers as well.

I'll have to see if I can do that.. ;-)

regards

Ric

karazelle

Reaction score
Good, keep the suggestions coming.

The forum runs vBulletin software so ther are lots of addons we can 'addon'..

vbulletin.org has a mod forum where you can see what we 'could' add on. We are running 3.7.x

I do try and limit the add ons to a degree, when vbulletin gets updated (which is about 10 times a year) most of the plugins etc have to be all re added / coded etc...which can take a while to add all the edits back in.

Picture link is now fixed... ;-)

I have it set up to automatically 'get' and post from a few of the Apple RSS feeds. So people that don't know they exist can get the news from here.

You can subscribe to 'each' forum individually, then you won't get the Apple news ones etc. This is a bit of a pain but you only have to do it once for each forum that interests you.

I'll see if I can set up a feed 'without' the Apple feeds...

I'll have to see if I can do that.. ;-)

regards

Ric

No hurry!

Now if people started to use this feature ;)

Ask a Question