[SOLVED] Did I break it?

Reaction score
I just got my MacBook pro and today I was looking at the Mac OS X version 10.5.2 Install Discs. I put the first one in and started the installation process. I realized it was going to take awhile and I have a limited amount of time. So I canceled it, i don't remember in detail but it said something like "choose which hard-drive or w/e so that when your computer restarts you'll be able to sign in. So I chose the hard-drive and when it restarted, it all seemed fine but messages kept popping up saying that certain programs were shutting down unexpectedly. i just kept clicking ignore but then they kept coming back and i was getting confused. So i signed out of my name and now its just a blank desktop screen. I can't do anything, I am wondering if I broke it. I am going to call the right people later but I don't want my parents to hear me over the phone because I just got this laptop and if they hear I broke it, then... I'll get in big trouble lets just put it that way. My parents will be home any minute .. So can anyone help me with this?

Reaction score
Re: Did I break it?

ok well i restarted it so its not just a blank desktop screen anymore. I am at the desktop and everything seems normal but these messages keep popping up... like "the application spotlight quit unexpectedly." it keeps popping up and I don't know how to stop it.

It also doesn't show the hard drive on the desktop... or like the background.. the picture if you know what i mean. and everytime i click finder it won't load up.

karazelle

Reaction score

OK.. Let's see.

1) when you buy a new Mac it comes preinstalled. The disks are ONLY used to recover it in case you mess it up real bad. Usually what happens is that you would go through an installation phase and be up and running.

2) You cancelled the install assistant. What about.. you know, it being new and all, just running through the DVD? ;) It cannot hurt, and you'll not waste lots of time troubleshooting it.
I recommend you insert the install DVD, hold down the letter "C" on the keyboard when you hear the happy chime, then follow the installation on the screen. When you reach the option on where to install it, choose your harddisk and in the options button or similar on that screen, choose to "Erase and install" (provided it's new and you haven't actually produced any documents or similar yet). Then you will get the assistant you should have gotten and it will be a happy Mac.

After that, keep those DVDs in a safe location! Feel free to make a backup of the DVDs, but you will need to buy Dual Layer DVD disks.
You will also need these disks, at least disk 1, if you use bootcamp to install Windows on your Mac. The Windows drivers are on DVD #1, but only visible when you are inside Windows.

Reaction score

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

I fixed the problem and learned a lot while trying to fix it lol.

karazelle

Reaction score

Please set the thread to solved? Use the "Thread tools" drop down at the top right of the page..

Ask a Question