Reaction score
Hello!

I think this isn't a new issue, but I'm struggling with trying to change that ugly blue Skype icon on my dock without success. SO I'm wondering if someone has finally found a way to do it.

I'm on ML 10.8.2 and using Skype 6.2

Thanks!

Reaction score
There is no way, these resources are internal to the Application, and while you can open it and change it, if the App is code singed which it probably is then the App will fail to load. This is a security issue as we don't want people to change the contents of Apps.

Reaction score
I have a similar question. I don't want to change the icon of an application, but I'd like to change the color of my folders, not the label color that put a band of color all the way across, but just the folder icon.

Better yet, I'd like to put clipart on the folder icon. Back in OS9 days this was easy, and it made the folder I wanted so easy to spot as a glance.

Now I cannot find ANY site with really free clip art - some outfit called dreamstime seems to have bought up every google entry under free clip art. There used to be so many - all my folders that have come from my OS9 computers have these neat icons on them & they're really easy to spot.

So I guess that's two questions: 1) has anyone found a really free - both money free and hassle-free clip art site, and 2) how do you stick your clip art, once you've found it, on your folder icon in OSX. I have Mountain Lion on a MacBook

thanx
marti

Reaction score
Hi marti,

You can customize your folders to show what ever you want, a personal photo / clipart etc.

Here are the steps
1. Choose a folder you wish to change right click it then choose info at the top of the new window you will see the folder icon.
2. Now find a photo > clipart or other image and right click this and also choose info.
3. Now click the images icon then edit and copy, go to the original folders icon and highlight it then go to edit and paste.
Job done.

Here is a folder of mine and desktop documents as an example.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 22.17.28.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 22.17.28.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 357
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 22.17.42.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 22.17.42.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 329

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
^ Beautiful desktop there!

Just another method that works under Lion ..

• Open the image in Preview
  • Press ⌘ A to select All
  • Press ⌘ C to copy
  • Get Info on the folder whose icon you wish to change ...
  • Click the folder icon in the upper corner of the Get Info window
  • Press ⌘ V to paste the image over the folder icon

It's always nifty to have a few ways of doing the same thing just in case ....

Reaction score
Thank you both so much! There is one additional associated query. When I was at the university, the IT folks who helped faculty with such stuff got to an enormous fund of clip art of all kinds - they made some really clever things for my university webpage & as a result all my OS9 folders have icons that are indicative of the contents, e.g. "Grants" has a hand holding a bag full of money 8 - ). I recall an entire page of just door icons - there were dozens of doors - I put articles on =each disease I work on behind a different door - the patients loved it!

Yesterday when I googled "free clip art", I was dismayed that almost every site seemed to be connected to "dreams[something-or-other]" that demanded a lot of personal information - and then wanted a paid subscription! Very disappointing.

Spawn, I totally agree that it is extremely nifty to have multiple ways to accomplish the same task. When I had cunning and decorative folder icons a few years ago, it was for esthetic appeal only - or mainly anyway - but now as Sjogren's syndrome is chipping away at the visual acuity of many of us, it is nice to add things that are easy to find.

Ask a Question