Problems with camera on Skype

Reaction score
Hi,
I am just setting up my new Mac Air after years of windows machines and I am struggling a bit and need some help!
I have installed Skype and everything is OK except my camera is not working. When I look in Skype preferences / audio visual it says no camera and I do not have the option of using the drop down box to change it. The camera works for facetime so I know it is OK. Is there somewhere I need to turn it on first?
I would really appreciate some advice from out there.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hi,

Skype should automatically pick the camera up, if you have not done so already, I would fully uninstall Skype use disk utility to repair permissions then reboot and reinstall Skype.
Also are you running the latest version?
One more question have you used screen shearing?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, tried it all, no success! Have now contacted Mac help line.

'Due to the latest apple software update the cameras are no longer compatible with Skype. This is a Skype problem and nothing to do with Apple. Suggest I contact Skype and wait for them to provide an update'

Great news when I have just bought a new computer!!

Reaction score
Thanks, I had just located this forum and they have emailed me a plug in to sort this. I will let you know if it works.

Reaction score
Yes, it has worked, I am up and running!
FYI I am on a Mac air on OSX 10.8.5 using skype 6.8 in case anyone else with a similar combination has problems.
Thanks for your assistance.

Ask a Question