Skype and input volume

Reaction score
In the past, I've had problems with the input moving up and down while I'm talking on Skype. This is a particular problem when I'm recording a podcast. At that time, I solved the problem by simply turning off "Automatically adjust microphone settings" in Skype's preferences.

But recently, I started having the same issue again, even though that setting is still turned off. Is this one of the several bugs in the new Skype? Or is something else wrong?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

Not sure what is causing that, as nothing has changed as far as I know.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Which version of Skype?

C

Reaction score
2013 Mac Book Pro
OS X 10.11.6
Skype, 8.15.0.4

The other weird thing that's happened, maybe simultaneously, is that my Yeti mic, which used to appear in Sound Preferences by name, now appears as "USB Advanced Audio Device". I think this started when I experimented with plugging the mic into the USB hub rather than into my Mac, but it hasn't gone away even though the mic is now plugged directly into my Mac again.

Maybe something needs to be reset somehow?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Try unplugging the Yeti, restart the MBP, then plug in the Yeti.

See what that does.

C

Reaction score
Since I was restarting anyway, I decided to do some Apple updates that required a restart (Safari, iTunes).

When that was done, the mic volume was still flopping up and down. But then I looked at Skype preferences and somehow "Automatically adjust microphone settings" was set to "on"! I turned it off, and now the input volume is stable.

I forgot to mention a couple of other things. The mic input volume has also become much louder. I have to keep it set much lower than I used to. There are five little notches under the volume slider, and it has to be within the first two or else the listener's or recorder's volume is so loud that it gets distorted. This didn't use to be the case.

Also, the changes I've mentioned (input volume issues and the change in how the Yeti mic is designated in Sound Preferences) started around the time I installed Movavi Sound Grabber, which I was intending to use to record a Google Hangout call (and ended up not using). That app appears as an input device in Sound Preferences... which seems kind of odd to me. Could Movavi be causing either of these issues?

Ask a Question