Updating Skype - OS X 10.7.5

Reaction score
I used to be able to updates Skype from the Skype menu. Now I get a pop-up that tells me I'm not authorized. Usually the admin login window pops up, but not any longer. I also logged into the admin account, and I have the same problem there. Please see the attached file. I would be grateful for any advice.

skype.jpg

Reaction score
Go to Applications and delete Skype first, then drag and drop the new version into Applications.

Reaction score
Well, first of all, I would use Applcation Delete before I delete and application, because I don't want any leftovers floating around. But anyway, I want to know why I can't update Skype the way I have been doing it for years.

If there's no other option, I will delete Skype and download and install the latest version.

Reaction score
That will delete all your settings and you will want them for the new version, so I wouldn't advise that.

What's the problem? Its simple enough, open the Applications Folder, Locate Skype (a Microsoft program maybe thats why its now hard to update) and drag and drop it into the Trash. drag the new one into Applications. You could have done it quicker than typing that response.

Reaction score
I aplogize for wasting everyone's time. I'll yet learn to not ask "why" anymore. Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
The why is simply, parts of Skype are running even when its not, great work MS. You can't replace or copy over a running app.

Ask a Question