Sky Plus Upgrade...

Reaction score
have come up against an unforseen problem when trying to install a new drive in my Pace v2 sky plus and hope that maybe someone can help me.

I tried all the reset options to no avail and I decided to go down the upgrade hard drive route.

When I select auto rewind off, as is prescribed, I can't save, however I try, I'm not able to save this and I get the message:

information comes up as:

please wait
press back up to continue

when I press back up, the setting have reverted to 30 minutes rewind.

I would be most grateful for your help and wonder, do you know if there is any risk if I proceed without turning instant rewind off when installing a new hard drive? or do you have any other advice as to how to proceed further with the installation?

Reaction score
Hi all
I have ab Amstrad Sky+ box and in the next room I have a Directors Cut box. What I would like to find out is would I be able to connect the Sky+box to a scart switch as the input and then have 2 switchable outputs (1 to the TV and the other to my DC box
icon5.gif

Reaction score
I have an Amstrad DRX 180. Where can I get the largest hard disk for it, how to fit it and do I loose what is on my present drive?
Please help as I need lots of entertainment for a family Christmas!!!
Nate

Reaction score
Hi out there,

Please can anyone who has done a drive replacement on their Amstrad DRX 180 let me know where and what model hard drive to get and how to put it in?

Please please please before Christmas arrives.

Nate

Reaction score
I have the version 2 'Amstrad' Sky Plus box, it originally came with a 20GB hard drive, which gives just under 20 hours of recording...

..between Wifey and the anklebiter, I wasn't getting a look in !

For our American cousins SkyPlus is the same as Tivo (but not as good !)

So I decided to open up the box and take the 20 GB drive out and install a 160 GB drive.

That in theory should give me approx 100-160 hrs, recording time. After having a quick Google around, the consensus of opinion was to put in the Samsung SP1604N. there are various different opinions, but this seemed the best bet.

Local PC World had them in stock (store price £75.98 web price £53.99)

For the techies:

7200rpm Spindle Speed | 2Mb Buffer Cache | 8.9 ms Average Seek Time (Read) | Ultra ATA 133 | Brown box version | No cables, manuals or software included

Before starting go to the "Sky+" Setup Menu and turn instant rewind to off, make sure you scroll down and save the settings, then put the box into standby and unplug it.

Best to leave it to cool down for a few minutes. Make sure you have an Anti Stat Wristband then remove the cover, drive out, and put the new one in...10 minutes.

If you can use a screwdriver, then it's easy ! One ribbon cable - One PSU cable.

Plug in the Sky Plus Box, wait for two minutes, then turn on, go to the Services menu, and access the "Installer Menu..."

Press the Services Menu
Then Select Menu '4' (System Setup)
Then press 01 on the Remote
Then press select
You should now be in the "Installer Menu"
Now press 8 "Full System Reset"

Once this has done it should reboot your SkyPlus Box...wait two minutes then turn it on. Turn your instant rewind back on...and off you go !

Mines been running now for 48 hours, have taped loads of random stuff just to check it's working. Currently have 35 hours taped and the Sky Plus box tells me that there is 65 % still free !!!

Sky Plus home page is here...

Their standard box, the same as mine is £89 with a full package subscription...their new box (with a 160 GB Hard Drive) costs £299 (but only gives 80 hours, there drives are doctored only allowing you to use half the space ???)

If any one wants any advice on upgrading theirs let me know !

Didn't take any pictures at the time, but if I get 5 mins I'll wip the lid off and take some pictures !

regards

Ric

Hi

I got a Samsung 250GB SP2514N from amazon, I need to know whether I need
to partition the drive or format the drive using a PC before replacing the drive in the
thomson DS8210 unit and following your instructions
Thanks
Kash

Ask a Question