Saving rotated photo

Reaction score
I have sent photos from my mobile phone to my email. For some of the photos i turned the phone camera lengthwise and the pictures have come through on their side. Double clicking on the photo opens up Preview which automatically displays the photo the correct way up.. and i thought "that's pretty cool. just what i want" but it won't stay that way. I saved it to the desktop in its correct form then i wanted to attach it to an email but no matter what i did ( and i did a lot) it springs back to being on its side on the email page. after half hour of trying i took a screenshot of it and then attached it. i don't think i should have to do that? I have an eMac with Tiger. There is no iPhoto programme. If i look for it i get the annoying Automator and eventually i'm told the application iPhoto is missing. I thought Preview should handle this situation. You have always given me helpful answers, are you able to this time please?

Reaction score
Preview respects the stored Orientation data from the camera, Mail doesn't. Many other Apps don't.

I recall in Tiger it's very hard to strip that data out, I think I used PhotoShop, which didn't read or write it out.

You could try saving it as one of the older formats, try tif, then back to png.

Reaction score
Once again thank you for the explanation. wish it was all so easy. Am going to go back in and post a question for something that seems a lot more complicated.

Ask a Question