Revive using Configurator - how?

Reaction score
2019 MacBook Pro user here running Ventura 13.3.1. My fingerprint suddenly stopped being recognised by the touchpad, nor will it even see my print when I try to reset. Discovered that one cause could be a failure of firmware, which can be reinstalled using the 'revive' process with Apple Configurator (which I've never used and know nothing about) by connecting the damaged Mac with another using a thunderbolt cable. Found instructions here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/apple-configurator-mac/apdebea5be51/mac .

Step 1: Connect the Mac computers.
DONE (second computer was a 2018 MacBook Air also running Ventura).

Step 2. Prepare the Mac you want to revive.

(a) Press the sleep/wake button for about 5 seconds to shut down the Mac portable computer.
DONE.

(b) Plug the USB-C cable into the front Thunderbolt port on the left side of the Apple Portable computer.
DONE.

(c) While holding down the power button, at the same time press all three of the following keys for about 3 seconds: the right Shift key, the left Option key, the left Control key. Note: you won't see any initial screen activity from the Macbook Pro you are trying to revive. After the restore (? - their word, I thought this was a revive) begins, you'll see an Apple logo and progress bar if a monitor is connected.
DONE - but the first three attempts simply restarted the computer. On the fourth try the screen stayed black. I hoped this was what they meant.

Step 3. Revive the firmware
(a) In the Apple Configurator on the first Mac, select the DFU icon of the Mac whose chip firmware you want to revive.
NOT DONE - because the Configurator window was empty. I set a scan going to no avail.

What am I missing please? The doc is not well written - the instructions are often a tad ambiguous and you're not told until late in the process that you'll need an external display (all requirements should surely be listed at the top, surely?). What I really want to know is:

How do I get my fingerprint touchpad to work again?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sounds more like a hardware issue with the fingerprint sensor than a firmware issue. Honestly, using Apple Configurator without proper experience could actually brick your Mac if it fails. I highly recommend taking it to an Apple Store/Apple Authorized Service Provider and have the Mac diagnosed. They should be able to troubleshoot to see if it is a hardware failure, and fix the issue if it is a firmware/software issue.

C

Reaction score
My feelings too I'm starting to think. Except that just recently after my touchbar died I had my entire keyboard replaced (which included the Touch ID sensor). The problem predates the new keyboard and still continues. So it really may be firmware. But you're right, it's a professional job to do the revival. Thanks C.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

It could be, but maybe there is an issue with the logic board, that caused the issue when the TouchBar failed. Replacing the keyboard may not have addressed it if there is a logic board failure.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Ask a Question