Using LibreOffice on iPad

Reaction score
I downloaded LibreOffice to my iPad to read documents I created with LibreOffice on my Mac. It loaded both an app called OfficeSuite (which will cost) and one labeled ODR (OpenDocuments). I recently decided that I couldn't afford the $100 per year subscription to Microsoft Office. I have .odt & .ods files from my old Office documents.':

I have some issues.
1. If I open "OpenDocument", it allows me to open a document that is very misformatted. It told me to install Adobe Acrobat Reader, which I did. If I open a document and then click on "Install" it opens it in Adobe Acrobat Reader, with better but not good formatting. I can still open it in Word which tells me to subscribe (and sign in), but when my wife looked at the same document in her iPad, it would only display part of the Word document.
2. Is it possible with iPadOS 15.7 to tell it what apps to open my .odt or .ods files?

My wife just wants to read some documents I have created without subscribing to Word formatted correctly. Before I cancelled my automatic subscription (due next spring), she could read the whole documents in Word. Now Word wants a subscription, and OpenDocument (Libre Office viewer Lite) doesn't format correctly.

Any suggestions?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

I answered part of this in your other post.

I think you need to open the files driectly using the OOReader app and not Files. Also, make sure you delete the Microsoft apps from the iPad if you no longer use them.

C

Reaction score
It's not at all intuitive, but touch, but don't open the document in Files. Select "Share". Find the application you want to open the document.

That works.

Ask a Question