I'm using a old power mac, the bay you plug the video card into one of the small pins that make connection with the card broke off. Repair possible?

Reaction score
I'm using a old power mac, the bay you plug the video card into one of the small pins that make connection with the card broke off. Repair possible?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,
  • Which exact model Power Mac?
  • Can you post a photo of the issue?
Repairing a missing pin isn't really feasible without simply replacing the logic board.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I believe your right, came to the same conclusion but I don't have any experience getting in that deep, replacing logic boards so I asked others with more experience.

Thanks again Mr. Cooper
Stephen

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 4

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

That looks like a Power Mac G5 (Late 2004). If so, the default graphics card slot is the 8x AGP Pro bottom slot in your picture. The other three slots are 64-bit PCI (33 MHz) or PCI-X (100/133 MHz), depending on the exact model. If you have 4 RAM DIMM slots, they are PCI, if you have 8, they are PCI-X.

If that is correct, let me know. If you can let me know what cards are installed and in what slots top to bottom, we may be able to figure something out. The top card in you photo could be moved to the slot with the damaged pin, since it doesn't use that part of the PCI connector (if the damaged pin is where the yellow arrow is pointing)

C

Reaction score
It's sounding like there may be some hope, I've had some things come up that need my attention so get back to you tomorrow.
Thanks Cory

Ask a Question