ti trash or revive-able?

Reaction score
hmmph!
my ti powerbook G4 667mhz (first batch) just lost 3/4s of its screen. It's so sad. I know that the monitors often go, but it's not straight black. The top quarter is fine and works great, but the rest of it does not show anything that is going on, what I might describe as not refreshed, but it has whatever colors are behind it in a melted variety. (I know, sounds weird but imagine the colors of your desktop image and pour hot water or wax over it, and that's what it looks like)
--ok, these descriptions below are difficult, work w me, please--
And then I discovered that if I move it or push it in jjjjjust the right spot, which takes me a bazillion tries to find - the whole screen works! If I don't keep that magic spot - whatevered - then the messed up area literally does not refresh, it holds the image it had, but does not refresh. Or it has a ?running? or scrolling white line across the screen, left to right, that starts at the top and runs all the way down, and starts over again.
Ok, so here's my question: is it done and over? Do I have to replace the whole screen, or is it possibly fixable? Might it be something about the connection from the screen is messed up, and simply takes re-something-ing or replacing? If I don't really have money - but having my computer is worth fixing to me, I just can't pay several hundred dollars. (i do have an ibook, but I've always 'needed' both)
Any ideas about repair/replacement prices?
I've heard before that these screens are no longer purchasable (people had previously asked to buy mine for their ti) Thanks!

Ric

Reaction score
Is it still dead ?

The best price I have seen is around $400 for a new screen...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
A few years ago one of my co-workers had a similar problem with his laptop (PC), and he found that if he put a binder clip in just the right spot it held down that "magic" spot and 3 years later it's still working for him that way...
But, had another co-worker with a ti and her screen went completely... started how yours is though... it still worked fine if she hooked it up to an external monitor (which limits portability of course, but lets you keep working till you have time and $$ to get it repaired/replaced).

Reaction score
zeyhra said:
A few years ago one of my co-workers had a similar problem with his laptop (PC), and he found that if he put a binder clip in just the right spot it held down that "magic" spot and 3 years later it's still working for him that way...

awesome! i'm totally keen on something like that, by binder clip do you mean
the black super tight dealies with the 'wings' that you flip up or down to open the clamp?

did he clamp the screen itself? or....
thanks much!

Reaction score
exactly on the binder clips... the black super tight dealies with the 'wings' that you flip up or down to open the clamp... the "magic" spot on his computer was this one spot on the frame part of the screen... so not on the screen itself, but right on the edge (so it won't put pressure on the actual screen)...

Ask a Question