Recovery

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a mid 2010 iMac that has now peaked out at High Sierra. I had a problem with my OS and decided to install a new copy over the net but could not get a connection to the server, “Servers Unavailable at this time” so I went ahead and performed an OS recovery from my Time Machine (From end of May 2018). Then I restored my Contacts and Mail in the same way but I have been unable to recover the Photos from the date of the recovery to the present time. I have entered Time Machine through Finder and navigated to Photos and likewise using Safe Mode to no avail. A message is displayed by Time Machine in this date range, saying something to the effect of that the photos are not available becasue the OS needs them! So no luck!
Do you think that all is lost or is it possible my photos can still be found?

I have to acknowledge that I have been a slow learner, trusting my Time Machine with too much and now intend to get my remaining photos into iCloud.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have entered Time Machine through Finder

I do not fully understand this, Have you not backed up to an external disk.
If so just connect the devise and open time machine then select date stamp - Home - Pictures then choose whichever library you want. As my screen shot.

Or have I misunderstood you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 06.46.23.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 06.46.23.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 06.54.28.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 06.54.28.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
Hi,

I do not fully understand this, Have you not backed up to an external disk.
If so just connect the devise and open time machine then select date stamp - Home - Pictures then choose whichever library you want. As my screen shot.

Or have I misunderstood you.
Hello again,
Thanks for your reply.
I have looked at your reply and my machine a couple of times but I am not certain as yet, on how to proceed.
Yes, I have an external drive for my TM, it is also has a 1Tb capacity. My files are automatically back-up to this drive on a regular basis. I access it from the bar at the top of my screen and it is not shown in Finder.
I do not have a Home logo shown in my menu.
Here is a copy of my Finder menu.
Have I explained myself well enough?
Andy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 7.50.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 7.50.45 PM.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Hi Andy,
My files are automatically back-up to this drive on a regular basis. I access it from the bar at the top of my screen and it is not shown in Finder.
As I said access your backup from the time machine app in the dock or application folder, once you have mounted the external drive just click the app.

I do not have a Home logo shown in my menu.
This is the little house icon next to the name andyfauset, click it and then click pictures then choose the photo library that you want to use, I have three photo libraries to choose from, as in my screen shot.

Have I explained myself well enough?
Yes :)

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

As I said access your backup from the time machine app in the dock or application folder, once you have mounted the external drive just click the app.

This is the little house icon next to the name andyfauset, click it and then click pictures then choose the photo library that you want to use, I have three photo libraries to choose from, as in my screen shot.

Yes :)
Hi and thanks for the pointers; you are a great help!
So yes, I did what you recommended but unfortunately the time period in question appears to the a Photo wasteland, so I was unable to retrieve anything. I did talk to one of the "Geek Squad" members at BB and his recommendation was to download a fresh OS from the Apple servers. I tried to do this but ran into another problem "Servers Unavailable At This time" and I gather this points to the need for a work around which I think is a little out of my depth and a system risk! So I have been considering taking my computer in for some professional help. Seem reasonable to you?
Cheers,
Andy.

Reaction score
Hi Andy,
recommendation was to download a fresh OS from the Apple servers.
Yes if you have serious issues with any Apple applications I personally feel it best to reinstall the OS :)

"Servers Unavailable At This time" and I gather this points to the need for a work around which I think is a little out of my depth and a system risk
Work arounds never really fix the issue, and if your not happy then don't do it.
So I have been considering taking my computer in for some professional help. Seem reasonable to you?

Defiantly, first stop would be to phone your nearest Apple store explain what has happened and book a GB appointment.:)

Let us know how things go.

Ask a Question