SOLVED Recovery partition encryption password?

Reaction score
MacBook Pro 2013; macOS 10.15.6

I downloaded macOS 10.14 (Mohave) from the App Store. Because it took a long time, I went off and did something else.

The download completed when I was not at the computer, and the installation process started automatically. Needless to say, it failed because it would have been a downgrade. (I was not hoping to downgrade, I just wanted the OS installation file.)

BUT NOW: When I boot my computer, I am asked for a password to unlock the disc. (This is for the partition that is used to install the OS, not my primary partition.) My normal password does not work. Nor does my Apple/iCloud password.

I have to power up with the Option key held down. Then I get the Startup Manager, and can boot with the macOS 10.15.6 partition.

Is there any way I can repair/replace the installation or Recovery partition?

If not, do you have any idea what the password might be? I have always used the same encryption password for this computer.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

That is an issue I haven't heard of previously. Normally, the macOS installer will open, but not automatically start installing without user interaction when downloaded, and will not allow you to install an older version of macOS.

First off, it is always recommended that you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data. If you have a backup, you could try to download and install Catalina over the top of your current install. That would update/repair the recovery partition.

I am not aware of any way to change the password it is prompting you for, as Apple's security is very tight. If the reinstall of Catalina doesn't correct the issue, you may have to perform a full erase and install, using an external drive installer.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory. I've downloaded macOS installers several times before, and I've never seen this behaviour either. The installer for Mojave is still in my Applications folder, and when I try to run it it immediately blocks me because it is early than my current OS.

I keep a Carbon Copy Cloner backup... but for reasons I can't recall, I did not make it bootable! Duh. I fired up Time Machine a few days ago, set it on automatic, and did not exclude system files, so now I should be okay.

My recollection is that downloading and reinstalling an OS leaves user data and settings untouched, although it risky to rely on this. Am I correct?

Reaction score
I downloaded the Catalina installer and ran it successfully. Booting has now returned to normal (and my data was unchanged).

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. You were correct - resintalling over the top doesn't touch your applications/user data. It will only do that if you do an erase and install. It is always recommended to have have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data, especially when updating/upgrading macOS.

Glad things are back to normal.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question