SOLVED RECOVERY MODE not accessible

Reaction score
NEED TO CHANGE PASSWORD. Unable to install software, update software, delete certain items or run TechTools (maintenance app)

MacPro Quad-Core Dual Intel Xeon running El Capitan Version 10.11.6

Reaction score
First of all, I assume you mean your Admin Password, ie, the one with your user account, right?

Secondly, why do you need to change it?

Reaction score
OK, since you cannot get to Recovery Mode, apparently there is a way to do it via Single User Mode, although you'll need to enter some semi-complex commands. Look at this link:

You want to follow the instructions in the section entitled "Reset your admin password using Single-user mode". This video is also helpful:

Given that you cannot get to Recovery Mode, I suspect there is a possible issue with your internal disk.

Reaction score
OK, since you cannot get to Recovery Mode, apparently there is a way to do it via Single User Mode, although you'll need to enter some semi-complex commands. Look at this link:

You want to follow the instructions in the section entitled "Reset your admin password using Single-user mode". This video is also helpful:

Given that you cannot get to Recovery Mode, I suspect there is a possible issue with your internal disk.

Appreciate your tip; have a feeling this is the other method mentioned when I had contacted Apple support / chat. She said it would involve code.

I attempted this many times. Initially, just got a window of code, which after reading, the instructions started to make more sense. However, I have not been able to complete this successfully. I imagine I am not timing each function as it should be sequenced. Not sure, exactly how long to hold "command-S" before typing "mount -uw" enter. Possibly, my problem lies with "launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist" as it is long and while I am a rather accomplished typist, it seems the booting up is past where it should before I am completed entering this.

I type 'passed Mac Pro HD' and attempt to enter the new password followed by enter, and never get any prompt to enter the password again.

Been through this many, many times with varying degrees of completion; however, never to the end success.

Your mention of a possible issue with my internal disk, prompted me to run disk utilities. While the report stated no repairs, I do feel a slight improvement in performance. Thanks for that.

Reaction score
Just watch video; did see some tips will try :confused:Actually...the video was a bit different in commands than the written instructions. Also there are other videos which provide other avenues which I may try. Thanks again. Will let you know how things work out.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Watched several of the YouTube videos regarding re-setting password using "Single User Mode". However the PROBLEM ENCOUNTERED NOW: WHEN ENTERING "launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist"....NEITHER "DirectoryServices" nor "opendirectory.plist" work. Says neither exist. ???? Hence, I am stuck there.

Is there another command phrase to make this continue?

Ask a Question