MacBook stuck at loading bar after login (also in recovery mode)

Reaction score
Hi! I have the 12'' MacBook with all the latest updates installed. Disk encryption is turned on. After entering my password, the loading bar appears, fully fills and gets stuck there. Nothing more happens.

What I have already tried:

• I reset PRAM (Command-Option-P-R)
  • I might have reset SMC (Command-Option-Shift)
  • I tried booting into recovery mode (Command-R), but the same thing happens (stuck at progress bar)
  • I don't seem to be able to boot into Safe Boot (holding shift just boots normally)
  • I was able to boot up in single user mode (Command-S), yay! So disk encryption does not seem to be the main problem.
  • I ran fsck -f. No change.
  • I moved the user's Library folder. No change.
Any ideas what else I could try?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-OS X El Capitan: Start up in safe mode - Make sure you follow those instructions. It can take a while to complete the startup, it may look like a standard startup sequence, and you should see Safe Boot in the menu bar if it works properly.
-Do you mean you have FileVault 2 enabled?
-Is there more than one user on the Mac?
-What do you mean by I moved the user's Library folder?
-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data?

There is the possibility here that FileVault 2/drive (PCIe-based flash storage) has become corrupted. It may be best to gets some hands-on diagnosis/support if you have an Apple Store near you. We would hate for you to lose any of your data.

C

Ask a Question