Fresh install without recovery partition or internet recovey?

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help.

I recently bought a 2nd hand imac (2010) to get by with as my MB pro has recently died.

The previous owner didn't complete a fresh install so I decided to. I tried to do this through Cmd R but as my Apple ID hadn't been assigned to that OS, the reinstall function told me to try again later. I've read this is a security feature.

I have a USB bootable installer with El Capitan so thought formatting and reinstalling would be the way to go. I wiped the HD but messed up the process as I forgot to create a new partition and format the HD, instead rebooting and holding cmd to launch the USB installer.

Now what happens is the machine boots to a flashing question mark folder on cmd, whilst cmd R boots straight to internet recovery and gets stuck at 24:00 (don't think this is supported on models this old). Both cmd R and also cmd, shift, R launch internet recovery. I've tried resetting the PRAM but this hasn't made a difference.

I have a copy of the installer DVD for my old MB Pro but when I try this boot method by holding C on launch it skips to the flashing folder screen.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can perform a fresh installation off either the USB or CD?

Many thanks in advance,

Doug

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.

The installer disc from your MBP won't work, as they are machine-specific. The flashing? means it cannot find a bootable install of OS X/macOS to startup from.

If it recognizes the USB installer, you should be able to format/partition the drive to allow install.

-What process did you use to create the USB installer?
-Where did you get the El Capitan installer from?

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The USB was created a few years ago using a software (can't remember which one) and a version off El Capitan which I think I got through Apple but can't remember. It worked 2 years ago on my 2010 Macbook Pro, but when it didn't recognise this time, I assumed my Macbook Pro was dead and bought an affordable 2nd hand iMac to get by with.

As the imac has not recognised the USB either, I am guessing this could be the issue and that in 2 years it has somehow become corrupted.

I bought a ready made USB driver this morning through Amazon and I'm hoping this is the resolution.

I'll update this thread when it comes and hope the shift key brings joy on boot up

Reaction score
So, despite the USB working 2 years ago, it turns out this was the issue.

The new one I bought has worked perfectly.

Thanks for the advice!

Ask a Question