Printer Only Prints in Landscape

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

New to Mac and everything seems to be going smoothly except one thing. My darn printer will only print in landscape mode. It's an HP Photosmart 5520 (I find them better than the Desk or Office Jets.) It's using AirPrint as the driver. It's a wireless printer and this Mac picked it up from the network easily and automatically installed AirPrint as the driver. I have tried every setting available to me and nothing has worked. It's not the printer because this is the family printer in use for three years and all other computers and devices print fine on it.

Anyone have any idea what to try? Is there another driver I should be using?

Any help very much appreciated.

Bob

Reaction score
The Mac OS comes with software for a wide variety of printers. As I mentioned to you previously, it is best that when you post a question, you include your Mac model and the Mac OS you are using. I know that already, but other folks might not.

In any event, this link contains a list of printer software for the 5 most recent versions of the Mac OS, including El Capitan (which you are running):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201465

Your printer is on that list, so you should be able to use the built-in drivers from El Capitan.

What software are you using for printing?

Reaction score
Hello

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response. Must be a time difference, I am in the UK.

I was printing from LibreOffice, which works fine on all other devices. Linux uses the HPLIP drivers, which may exclusive to Linux, but they work perfectly. I didn't get the choice of another driver when I set up the printer, El Capitan immediately installed AirPrint. Could be wrong, but I don't think AirPrint is working for this printer.

Thanks for the reply. I will search HP's site for a Mac driver.

Bob

Reaction score
Well. HP says there is a driver for this printer on Mac, but that it is meant to use Bonjour, which I assume is AirPrint. The HP printer only supports printing and not the other functions of this printer. Apparently Bonjour does support ALL of the functions.

Oh, well. It might be printing on this particular printer is not going to work.

Thanks for your help

Bob

Reaction score
UPDATE: Tried some different software to print from and it was fine. It appears it is LibreOFFICE that is the culprit. I'll to fix that within the program. Thanks for the help

Bob

Updated LibreOffice and all is good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Glad you got it resolved. Did not know what Air Print was, but now I do. Also, it's always important to keep all your software up to date.

Ask a Question