Preview freezes when viewing large files

Reaction score
I have a new 2012 Mac Book Air, system 10.7.4.
Preview is my default app for viewing jpg, png, and pdf files.

I've currently got a couple of high-resolution, large jpg files (one 20 MB, another 60 MB) that I need to access frequently.

But every single time I open them in Preview, I get the spinning beach ball and the app basically "freezes", forcing me to command-option-escape force quit.
Usually I'm able to view the document for a minute or so before this happens. I do a lot of zooming in and panning around. Then inevitably it always freezes.

I'm sure this has to do with the fact that these files are particularly large. But it also seems strange that in this day and age, and with a brand new computer running the latest Intel processor, viewing a 20 MB file should prove so problematic.

What can I do to address this problem? Is there any setting within Preview that would allot it more memory or more power to deal with large files? I checked the Preview preferences but couldn't find anything.

Is Preview simply not intended to handle files this large? Should I switch to a different app? What free apps are recommended for efficient jpg and png viewing?

Reaction score
These are not "large" Files Gigs are large.

What can I do to address this problem? Is there any setting within Preview that would allot it more memory or more power to deal with large files? I checked the Preview preferences but couldn't find anything.
No.

Talk to AppleCare.

Is Preview simply not intended to handle files this large? Should I switch to a different app? What free apps are recommended for efficient jpg and png viewing?
Preview should have no problems with files this size.

Ask a Question