Power supply failure?

Reaction score
greetings,

I am running Mac OS X 10.4.11 Power PC G5; this machine is a work horse, until recently when it began to shut off after about 5-7 minutes of idle time. I can reboot but if I step away it shuts off... I can't even use it because if i'm not saving files every 30secs I risk a shut down and total loss of work. I work in graphic production so I am frequently between tasks.
I can rebuild this machine easy enough but I was hoping the community might help me narrow my search for possible solutions.
I was thinking I should start with either the power supply or the on-board battery?
Has anyone had a similar experience maybe its neither of these two.. i can provide specs or details as needed.
Thanks in advance

Cheers
D

Reaction score
I think Kaveman is right, this sounds to me like a faulty logic board. I've had to do my share of repairs on various legacy Apples and my favorite resource is the folks at Other World Computing (www.macsales.com) they have a lot of the parts and components for repairing your system and also have repair manuals and how-to's to help. If you're tech savvy, give that a shot but if its what we think, thats one of the more expensive parts to replace and may cause you to think of retiring it all together.

Good luck!

Ask a Question